Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you might get for €500,000?

Options
  • 17-07-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking around Kildare and to a lesser extent Wicklow for a detached house on 1.5 acre or more. I want a house in a relatively rural setting, just not in an estate or town.

There really is a poor mix of houses for 400-500k within 30 miles of Dublin city centre. They are either bog standard houses or just not worth the money.

Is there some other way of finding good properties in the 500k mark besides keeping an eye on daft and myhome?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

you shoudl try myhome.ie advanced search part.

You can put in the amount you wish to spend and the location and it gives you a list of all the houses available in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭uli84

Wow, thought I had it difficult trying to find 180k one ;)
    Good luck in any case!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've no idea about values or availability in those areas... But there are other ways apart from daft and myhome.

There's the old fashioned way, which is to introduce yourself to auctioneers in the area, tell them what you are looking for and ask them to let you know if anything is coming up. This worked well for us, but you need to build a relationship with the estate agent, make sure they know you are serious about buying and not just wasting their time. You can get the jump on a property before it is advertised this way.

Another way is to do door-to-door if you have identified a specific set of houses. I know someone who wanted to live on a particular street. She dropped in to each house asking if they were considering selling could they call her... Gave them a contact card. 6 months later she got a call and bought the house without agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rasgav

How about this? myhome.ie/residential/brochure/coonagh-house-carbury-co-kildare/2867400

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

rasgav wrote: »
    How about this? myhome.ie/residential/brochure/coonagh-house-carbury-co-kildare/2867400

Yeah I liked it and viewed it but there is a problem with the roof. I just don't want hassle as its a big job plus the reality is a house built in later 1700's will always need on-going maintenance and I want something newer.

It did actually go sale agreed but it fell through due to the survey report highlighting the roof issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At that price would you not consider buying a site and building what you want? Total ignorance here; but couldn't you get a substantial new build for €300k?

Or this:
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/the-glade-kerdiffstown-naas-co-kildare/2857920

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

seamus wrote: »
    At that price would you not consider buying a site and building what you want? Total ignorance here; but couldn't you get a substantial new build for €300k?

Or this:
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/the-glade-kerdiffstown-naas-co-kildare/2857920

You do know how hard it can be to get planning permission yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Buy one with planning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I really thought people had learned their lesson a few years ago, obviously not :(

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Buy one with planning

You'd spend more buying a site with planning and building it, than buying one ready to move into.

OP this needs work, but I don't think you'd get much more country than this:cool:
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/waterstown-sallins-co-kildare/2851854

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Yeah the local needs policy for one off housing is very restrictive in kildare.

I really thought people had learned their lesson a few years ago, obviously not :(

What do you mean by this? If you mean sellers still have unrealistic expectations on what their properties should sell for then I agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

You'd spend more buying a site with planning and building it, than buying one ready to move into.

OP this needs work, but I don't think you'd get much more country than this:cool:
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/waterstown-sallins-co-kildare/2851854

Is that right, i was told this back in 2003 that id npever find a site cheaper than 80k imn the area i was looking. Turned out i pulled a cracking 1.25 acre site for 9 grand!! Never go by what the sheep say because youll always follow them and find out theres different opinions that goes against the grain

Is that right, i was told this back in 2003 that id npever find a site cheaper than 80k imn the area i was looking. Turned out i pulled a cracking 1.25 acre site for 9 grand!! Never go by what the sheep say because youll always follow them and find out theres different opinions that goes against the grain

Well I'm talking from growing up on the Kildare dublin border where price of agricultural land is at or around 10 k an acre.
    Once however it's a 'site' the price seems to jump massively.
    It's not buying the site though that's difficult, it's getting the planning permission that's tricky.
    At least a two year wait before you can move in if you're lucky, most people with families don't want to go down the route.

Also my original point was with regards to buying a site with planing already their, it's not exactly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Turned out i pulled a cracking 1.25 acre site for 9 grand!!

I'd be very surprised if that site was in Wicklow/ Kildare though and you then got planning permission?

OP do you really genuinely want a site of 1.5 acres or larger? I've looked at a few houses on 0.5 acre sites and although I like my space I wouldn't want anything bigger than that, maintenance, cutting grass etc. would be a lot of work and demanding if you want to keep that size a place right

Advertisement