Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dahlias

Options
  • 17-07-2014 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

For those who have Dahlias in your garden, how are they doing this year?
    I had a border with 24 tubers in it last year and this year, only 13 have leaf on them and they are doing poorly, growth-wise. They are on a raised bed with plenty of manure, gravel and quality, well-worked soil. This is my first time leaving them in the ground over Winter (lifting, cleaning, labeling and storing +20 large tubers is not a pleasant job) so I'm wondering what other users experiences with their Dahlias are.
    Mine were in full-flower this time last year and were getting many compliments from those passing by. This year, I'm left with a gap that most likely will not fill this year.

Also, do you have a particular cultivar you like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I have one in a pot that the slugs and snails simply will nto leave alone. Poor little flower :(

I keep trying to find a new spot for it but they keep going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I don't lift mine either as I'm close to the coast. Slugs love them so they do need lots of protection, I liberally use the blue pellets around them.
    This year in Dublin has been very dry and hot so I've been careful to water frequently at the end of the day so they get a good soak overnight in damp soil. They are flying along.
    I also gave the ground around them a liberal sprinkling of chicken manure pellets in spring too which helps. I would water occasionally with tomato feed as well which I'd recommend trying, maybe do twice a week for the next few weeks to give them a bit of a kick start.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

redser7 wrote: »

Yes I saw that! Will be getting some for the poor little plant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I have two Dahlia in the ground - they over wintered there. They are being eaten alive by slugs.

The rest of my Dahlia's are soil in large plastic pots.( its the only way I can beat the slugs). I lift the pots into the borders when they start to flower. During winter I lift the pots into the shed - I don't bother to take out the tubers I just leave them in the soil and stack the pots one on top of another.

I put the pots out in April- its was very mild and i have fed them once a week since the end of May. Two varieties are now flowering. The rest won't flower till next month I'd say.
    I've just taken photos today

L' Ancresse
    [IMG][/img]23t0emv.jpg

Nuit D'ete

[IMG][/img]2129wk5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

@Red Hare: Nuit D'ete is very nice. I have about 12 buds ripening but I might try giving more feed...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 needachat

I have one in a pot that the slugs and snails simply will nto leave alone. Poor little flower :(

Try putting Vaseline around your pot as the slugs/snails will fail to get through the Vaseline

• Registered Users Posts: 5 needachat

Try putting Vaseline around your pot as the slugs/snails will fail to get through the Vaseline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Its so hot the past few days that i have had to water the Dahlias in pots morning and evening - they flop during the day it so scorchio!
    While the pots are great for beating the slugs they make for a lot of work during a hot summer.

*Still I'm not grumbling about the lovely weather ..or am I ..hmmmm:rolleyes:

Advertisement