Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property management company not doing maintenance

Options
  • 17-07-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I've been living in a house for the past 2 months and the property management company have not sorted some maintenance issues I have raised with them. I have gone to them 3 times about these and they have always made a phone call to a maintenance guy while I was there but nobody ever comes. The issues are as follows

The letter box in the door is missing it's front plate the back is held on with tape and flaps with the wind.

The toilet is leaking upstairs and causing a stain on the ceiling so we can't use it.

The gas fire is not working and we haven't been told when it's going to be fixed.

The gas boiler's thermostat is broken and they say there are looking into changing it.

The washing machine was broken when I moved in but the replaced it straight away so I thought they would tackle the other issues as well. What are my rights here?? do I have to fix these issue?? am I been just petty?? any advice on this matter would be great

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Firstly, are you a tenant or an owner?
    I ask this as property management companies usually refer to the companies that manage complexes on behalf of the owners.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sounds like a rental management agency.

The OP needs to chase the agency and also the landlord.

Paulw wrote: »

I had an inkling, but wanted to ask, just to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kenny_david

I ask this as property management companies usually refer to the companies that manage complexes on behalf of the owners.

I'm a tenant. It's a 3 bed house not a complex.

Paulw wrote: »

So do you think my requests are reasonable??

• Advertisement

They are quite reasonable.
    If I was you I would send a registered letter to both the agency and the landlord outlining the issues, ask them to fix them within a reasonable time frame (10-14 days). You could offer to sort out the problems yourself and deduct the cost from the rent - but make sure that you ask and receive permission from the landlord to do this.
    The landlord should be made aware about the leaking toilet as that could have an impact on his insurance if he were to claim and it transpired that he was not told about the issue before it got out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

If you have gas fired central heating, then the gas fire is a luxury that the LL is under no obligation to make work. I have one in my rented house, but it can't he turned on. If it is the only heating source, then of course it is a different story

The rest should be fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Landlords have a responsibility under Statutory Instrument SI.534 of 2008 Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 (as amended 2009) to ensure that the gas and electrical installations in the dwelling shall be maintained in good repair and safe working order. The following will prove compliance with the Regulations.

Gas installations
    A current Declaration of Conformance certificate for an IS.813 Annex E inspection issued by a Registered Gas Installer for the gas installation in the house or apartment will prove compliance with the regulations.

Electrical installations
    An ETCI Periodic Inspection Report by a registered electrical contractor for the electrical installation in the house will confirm that the electrical installation is safe and is usually valid for 5 years. The result of the inspection shall show a standard which requires that “no remedial work is required”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

odds_on wrote: »
    Landlords have a responsibility under Statutory Instrument SI.534 of 2008 Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 (as amended 2009) to ensure that the gas and electrical installations in the dwelling shall be maintained in good repair and safe working order. The following will prove compliance with the Regulations.

Gas installations
    A current Declaration of Conformance certificate for an IS.813 Annex E inspection issued by a Registered Gas Installer for the gas installation in the house or apartment will prove compliance with the regulations.

Electrical installations
    An ETCI Periodic Inspection Report by a registered electrical contractor for the electrical installation in the house will confirm that the electrical installation is safe and is usually valid for 5 years. The result of the inspection shall show a standard which requires that “no remedial work is required”.

Or they are disconnected, like mine is. A gas fire doesn't have to be provided if there is other hearing. It would be easier to disconnect it

If you have gas fired central heating, then the gas fire is a luxury that the LL is under no obligation to make work. I have one in my rented house, but it can't he turned on. If it is the only heating source, then of course it is a different story

The rest should be fixed
    odds_on wrote: »

Gas installations

Electrical installations

Thanks for replies. I did ask before we moved in if there was a gas fire and the PMC said there was and it was working, if what you said is true above( I'm not saying it is or it isn't) then could I not get them on false advertising then??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks for replies. I did ask before we moved in if there was a gas fire and the PMC said there was and it was working, if what you said is true above( I'm not saying it is or it isn't) then could I not get them on false advertising then??

There is no come back on false advertising especially if its as sales speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

ted1 wrote: »
    There is no come back on false advertising especially if its as sales speak
    Agreed.
    EAs have a disclaimer, though not always in the ads, that everything they say about a property should be check by the purchaser/renter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I'm a tenant. It's a 3 bed house not a complex.

1. Management company issue
    2.3.4 Landlord issue

Advertisement