Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options
  • 17-07-2014 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi. I have a baby of 1 years old and am no longer with the child's mother. I am currently unemployed and looking for work. Anyway I am staying with a family friend but have to leave as house is over crowded. I mind my son from 8.30am- 5.30pm each day as his mother works, and every second weekend. I'm just wondering if I qualify for rent allowance to rent a house on grounds that I've a child.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

W74255 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if I qualify for rent allowance to rent a house on grounds that I've a child.
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭W74255

snubbleste wrote: »
    No.
    And how sure are you of this? Surely I need a place if I mind my son during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jeefff

If you're unemployed, apply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

And how sure are you of this? Surely I need a place if I mind my son during the week.

The number of dependents you have will be reflected in the level of rent allowance you receive yes, but it won't be the basis for whether or not you qualify for rent allowance if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You're probably no eligible as you generally need to have been renting in your own capacity for 6 months prior to any application. Your son is not homeless. I presume he lives with his mam so from that perspective it's probably irrelevant to your claim.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    You're probably no eligible as you generally need to have been renting in your own capacity for 6 months prior to any application. Your son is not homeless. I presume he lives with his mam so from that perspective it's probably irrelevant to your claim.
    Ya but I assumed that if you put your name on corporation housing list you qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ya but I assumed that if you put your name on corporation housing list you qualify
    Doubt that...sure everyone would just put their name on the list in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

A CWO will only entertain extra rent supplement if you have guardianship of your child.
    If you don't have this, I'd suggest looking into it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Yes you will qualify for rent supplement straight away if you are on the Council housing list.

brembo26 wrote: »
    Yes you will qualify for rent supplement straight away if you are on the Council housing list.

Ok thanks. Would I get much allowance for rent. I only want to be on it until I get a job, not long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ok thanks. Would I get much allowance for rent. I only want to be on it until I get a job, not long term.

What county are you renting in?

fussyonion wrote: »
    What county are you renting in?
    Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

You may be entitled to rent supplement if you satisfy the means test and are on the county council housing list or else renting privately for 6 months.

The amount you receive depends on where you're living and how many dependents you have- if you google rent supplement limits and see which applies to where you live that's how much your rent must be- no more than the limit set for your circumstances.
    You would be classed as a single person with no dependents unless you can prove to them- court order etc. - that you have the child at least half the time, and even then its hit and miss whether you'll actually be awarded the amount for the child or not. Usually they don't unless you really push it and prove you have shared equal custody.

The problem is that if you apply for a place within the limit set for one adult and one child then if you don't qualify for that rate they wont give you any assistance as you're renting above your limit.

Hope this helps, on my phone so a bit all over the place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Dublin

There's almost nowhere in Dublin accepting rent allowance at the moment as it's below the market rent. The rate is much higher when there's a child involved but I'm not sure if you qualify as it seems like the kid lives with his mum and stays with you during the day and every second weekend.

It would be worth clarifying this with a CWO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Suggest you read http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-housing-apply-home/apply-council-home. It may be the case you don't qualify for the council housing list. Where do you live now? For example, if you live with your parents, you won't get on it because you don't have a genuine housing need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

There's almost nowhere in Dublin accepting rent allowance at the moment as it's below the market rent. The rate is much higher when there's a child involved but I'm not sure if you qualify as it seems like the kid lives with his mum and stays with you during the day and every second weekend.

It would be worth clarifying this with a CWO.

This is a good point. Even finding a place within the limits for families and actually accepting RS is impossible

CWOs don't deal with rent anymore in most dublin areas its through a centralised unit and CWO will just tell you to apply and see if thats the case so depends where in dublin you're renting OP.

Tasden wrote: »
    You may be entitled to rent supplement if you satisfy the means test and are on the county council housing list or else renting privately for 6 months.

The amount you receive depends on where you're living and how many dependents you have- if you google rent supplement limits and see which applies to where you live that's how much your rent must be- no more than the limit set for your circumstances.
    You would be classed as a single person with no dependents unless you can prove to them- court order etc. - that you have the child at least half the time, and even then its hit and miss whether you'll actually be awarded the amount for the child or not. Usually they don't unless you really push it and prove you have shared equal custody.

The problem is that if you apply for a place within the limit set for one adult and one child then if you don't qualify for that rate they wont give you any assistance as you're renting above your limit.

Hope this helps, on my phone so a bit all over the place.
    Thanks for info

Advertisement