Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free $2,400 Introduction to Linux course

Options
  • 17-07-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

The Linux Foundation announced that it will be working with edX, a non-profit online learning site governed by Harvard and MIT, to make its “Introduction to Linux” course free and open to all.

The Linux Foundation has long offered a wide variety of training courses through its website, but those can generally cost upwards of $2,000. This introductory class, which usually costs $2,400, will be the first from the Linux Foundation to run as a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). There is no limit on enrollment through edX's platform.

Starts August 1st, 2014.

Source

Register

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Thanks, would be good to get some training for Linux. Shame the verified versions is still a bit too pricey as I would have liked to use it for my CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Received my intro document for this during the week, kicks off on 1st August. Bound to pick up something in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Signed up for this as well a while back, had completely forgotten about it till I got an email during the week.
    I've never used edx before, and would quite like to put this on my CV (I have a HDip in IT already), would it be worth getting a verified certificate for the $250? Or does it make little difference to an employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

170,000 people signed up. Thanks for the link btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Thanks for the link. Signed up to this yesterday. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dally

delta36 wrote: »
    would it be worth getting a verified certificate for the $250? Or does it make little difference to an employer?

I guess than depends on your employer, and the trust between you. The ID verification proves it's you that completed the course.

I'm going with verified option, as I don't want to spend all that time, only to find myself afterwards wishing that I had.

On the other hand, I might find myself afterwards wondering why did I waste the money, but I think that's the 'least bad' of the two scenarios :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I always wonder do employers take this sort of thing seriously? Do you put it on the CV if you finish it or what?

I always wonder do employers take this sort of thing seriously? Do you put it on the CV if you finish it or what?

CV, LinkedIn, wherever. I think employers are generally impressed by people who take initiative and gain knowledge of their own accord.

I'm doing the course to actually learn something, and I think it'll be interesting and useful to know. I'm going to get the certification too, but in this case, it's not the reason I'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Dally wrote: »
    CV, LinkedIn, wherever. I think employers are generally impressed by people who take initiative and gain knowledge of their own accord.

I'm doing the course to actually learn something, and I think it'll be interesting and useful to know. I'm going to get the certification too, but in this case, it's not the reason I'm doing it.

I recently finished the CompTIA Linux+ and am looking forward to this course too. You can never do enough learning in life, thats my motto. There's sure to be stuff in this course that will be useful.

Got an email to say this content is finally up on the website, will be checking it out tonight when I go home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Anyone else having issues with the site?
    Must be under a bit of stress on first day of course!
    Very unresponsive at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

gouche wrote: »

No issues here .

gouche wrote: »

No problems here. edX runs tens (maybe hundreds) of courses simultaneously, the first day of this one shouldn't have a major effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Running fine for me too.
    Course is a little basic, but that suits me fine

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I'm making my way through the course, just finished Chapter 3. Is there any actual assessment further on?

[answering my own question - theres a final exam at the end]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thanks for this. Just signed up but on the phone ATM. What distro should i set up in a vm for it or does it matter?

Orion wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Just signed up but on the phone ATM. What distro should i set up in a vm for it or does it matter?

I'd go with ubuntu to start. It covers others due to the difference in package management across different distros but you could load them up in virtualbox/vmware within ubuntu.

I've done the first 2 chapters, format appears to be good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Jumped on the PC and went through Chapter 1 - seems like the distro you use for labs doesn't matter. I have Lubuntu in a vm already but it's 12.10. Just grabbing Mint 17 now to install in a new vm.

Advertisement