Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arc cinema Drogheda

Options
  • 17-07-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

So has anyone been? Whats the verdict? Size wise in comparison to Omniplex?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I was there last week.
    found the seats very comfortable and the air conditioning was excellant as it was a muggy night.
    overall i would say it is what you would expect a new cinema to be but really what is the difference in any of the modern cinemas nowadays.

Crap movie though - transformers !

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

planet of the apes tonight, shall report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Was there during the week. Nice and clean as you'd expect. Seats are great. Fair bit bigger than the Omniplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Was there planning objections to the new cinema from the existing Omniplex in Drogheda prior to opening? If not IMC take note as a battle to prevent fair competition takes place in Dundalk, no doubt the 2 potential new ones were objecting to each others plans too. Do Drogheda folk think that one or other cinemas will eventually suffer or can both be sustained by the market available in South Louth?

Delighted with the arc. The place looks well, seats were comfortable, maybe a little on the narrow side. The popcorn and coke were perfect. Full house and not a peep out of anyone which was a surprise! No more trips to swords for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

First time there on Saturday. Agree that its a decent cinema and, with the right selection of films, no reason to go out of town again. Booked online but the ticket collection machine in the foyer had a conniption and then the guy at the counter also struggled to retrieve the order. He got it sorted so I guess its just teething problems. Overall, very good experience

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Went on Sunday night. The seats are bizarre, comfortable but weird- they go up at the end and lift your legs up! Found it very expensive, especially food compared to IMC. We paid almost €40 to see DOTPOTA in 2D. Surprised they didn't negotiate free parking either! The theatre itself was nice, but it'll have to be a payday treat now. I'd welcome another cinema for a bit of competitive pricing...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

Parking is only €1 for 3 hours so that's pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭gipi

mejulie805 wrote: »
    . I'd welcome another cinema for a bit of competitive pricing...

I'd welcome another cinema for a different choice of film! Looked at the ad in today's Leader for IMC and Arc, and they're showing the same list of films next week!

Are there any contracts they didn't get, that we can expect to miss out on?

• Advertisement

hopefully one of them will have to go down the route of indie movies at some stage

Would love that. Really want to see Boyhood and it's only showing in like 7 cinemas in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Stopped going there because I seemed to always be in a screen when somebody is ruining the movie. Happened twice to my wife aswell.

I don't blame a cinema for the clientele , I have an issue if they don't correct the behaviours of noisy patrons.

I'm a regular cinema goer and don't suffer from the same problems anywhere else. I emailed them and they didn't even reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Drumpot wrote: »
    Stopped going there because I seemed to always be in a screen when somebody is ruining the movie. Happened twice to my wife aswell.

I don't blame a cinema for the clientele , I have an issue if they don't correct the behaviours of noisy patrons.

I'm a regular cinema goer and don't suffer from the same problems anywhere else. I emailed them and they didn't even reply.

This is the main reason I don't go to the cinema as often as I'd like. People talking during the film, sniggering amongst themselves or purposely laughing at inappropriate parts of film. It just ruins it for everyone. Don't understand why anyone would pay to see a film and behave like that.

People who make noise when eating is another annoyance for me. Always seems to be people who chew with their mouth open who buy the nachos :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeh, gave the cinema another go but again let down.

Once they accidentally turned the lights at the climax of a film.

Another, there was a twat talking at different times (how do some people not know how to whisper or STFU?). So I moved and ended up beside a bunch of people who struggled to open crisp or plastic bags of sweets.

I'm sorry but I have never had this problem as badly in other cinemas. One of my friends thinks there is simply a lot of idiots in Drogheda and bad as it sounds, it looks like the kind of people who frequent the cinema In this area are less then educated in cinema etiquette.

Again, think the owners of the cinema need to do more to pull people up. Even my very forgiving, easy going wife is fed up and her and a friend go frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Another, there was a twat talking at different times (how do some people not know how to whisper or STFU?). So I moved and ended up beside a bunch of people who struggled to open crisp or plastic bags of sweets.

I'm sorry but I have never had this problem as badly in other cinemas. One of my friends thinks there is simply a lot of idiots in Drogheda and bad as it sounds, it looks like the kind of people who frequent the cinema In this area are less then educated in cinema etiquette.

Again, think the owners of the cinema need to do more to pull people up. Even my very forgiving, easy going wife is fed up and her and a friend go frequently.

I try to go during the day when I'm off during the week otherwise I do t bother. It's ridiculous what people think they can do in a busy cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I like to think I'm a fairly patient and forgiving person, but this really annoys me.

Why do cinemas insist on selling 'noisy' food? I dread going to the cinema, paying high prices and then getting stuck beside someone eating nachos with their mouth open, or rustling through a bag of popcorn. I can understand kids, that's fair enough, but some people have zero care for others around them.

The people who talk during a screening baffle me. Why pay if you're not going to sit and watch the film? I've complained about such people/groups before to mixed results. If I ask them direct to be quiet, they usually end up doing all they can do annoy me more. If I ask staff, they usually just carry on once he/she leaves again. Don't think there's much that can be done unless someone stays in for the entire film. Some people are just assholes.

It's so frustrating because without all this, I love going to the cinema. It's at the stage now though, where I wait a few weeks before seeing a film I want to watch, so it's an empty screening. I'd love nothing more than to go on an opening night, but this sort of thing irritates me to the point that it's a pure waste going. I'm more focused on distractions around me than the film.

I've found that Swords is a bit better. I haven't really had an issue there. Whether that's louder sound or what. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Can't say I notice any difference. I haven't been back to swords since it opened so happy out I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I don't understand why people associate a visit to the cinema to eating their body weight in crap! You don't need to eat junk to enjoy a film!

Having said that, I remember being at a Boston Celtic game many years ago (I was bored stupid but it was an event on the list ticked!) when a family of four sat in front of me and a pal. One by one, each went out and brought back a meal from one of the food outlets for EACH of them. By the end of the game, they had each had a McDonald's meal, a KFC each, a Nachos/Mexican combo and a Subway type effort!!!! It made a boring night interesting!

Maybe I should forgive a few Haribos in the Arc so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm a large combo with bag of sweets man myself, it definitely adds to the experience in my opinion :)

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I'm a large combo with bag of sweets man myself, it definitely adds to the experience in my opinion :)

and your waistline :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It's an old thread I know but went to Arc tonight for the first time in years to see that new Irish movie all the talk is about, The Banshee of Inisherin. It was only released on Friday so I was expecting it to be busy but there were only 12 of us in the theatre, 12!! I don't know who is behind putting the new cinema in Scotch Hall but I really can't see it being much of a success.

Is the one at the Boyne Center still going? I used to live there back in the day, and they split their operation with the Abbey cinema for a while too before it closed. They even opened during the day in the early days and we'd have often gone during the day in summer.

I remember being the only one there for the lesser films mid week or with my girlfriend but the main film would have had a decent number at it 30-40 maybe midweek.

The IMax that didn't get planning made more sense for Drogheda than Scotch Hall. From what I heard initially they were going niche and would have a wine license etc there at scotch hall. Last I went to the Arc with my wife we dumped a naggin of jack into a coke we bought there and shared it much to the amazement of the teens beside us...... kids these days /clueless 😅

Was the movie any good Scotty? Might head along to it later in the week as the kids are with their grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I had to check but yes, the one at the Boyne Centre is still going. It's an Omniplex. The last time I was there (10+ years) it was absolutely filthy and I said I wouldn't go back again. I don't think it was an Omniplex then.

I see it's actually showing the same movie. The movie was ok, it got better as it went on but I was expecting a bit of a comedy. There's not one laugh out loud moment in it. It's quite dark. The Mrs thought it was pure rubbish.

https://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/drogheda

Advertisement