Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgrade; I would love your suggestions. Thanks :)

Options
  • 16-07-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. It's time for my overdue upgrade and I would like to ask for you suggestions on components/where to buy :D

What I have:

Cooler Master Storm Trooper
    ASUS 7850 DCU2
    4x 1TB HDDs
    Hyper 212 EVO

What I want to upgrade from:
    Q8200
    680i SLI
    4gb DDR2 RAM
    Antec Power Supply (not compatible with 4690k)

What I want to upgrade to:
    z97 motherboard
    8/16gb RAM
    Antec HCG-620M

Here's a basket from Komplett.ie:
    7Vk6J.jpg

Maximum budget is 600. If there's a very good suggestion though, I might be able to get a little bit more.

I chose the 620W PSU as I am planning on upgrading to crossfired 7850s in the (near)future. Everything could be adjusted. As long as I get the 4690k. Even the source can be adjusted. I would even consider adverts :). Also, if this could get a bit cheaper, I would also like an SSD. But that's not priority for me, unless someone persuades me that it is :P.

Purpose of PC:
    Mostly gaming. I always wanted to play resource hungry games but couldn't as I was limited in power so if I get this upgrade, I will be playing them. Also, if the game can, I will be playing in eyefinity with 3 monitors.

Thank you for your time and suggestions. They are greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

If you use hardwareversand.de i'm sure you can get that stuff cheaper using http://geizhals.de/ comparison site. On Geizhals you just search the item you want and scroll to hardwareversand on the item page and compare it to hardwareversand's price to see if there's a saving to be made, if there is then click it and add to basket and repeat for other items. Just purchased an i 4690k system tonight and saved a bit. The 4690k was 203.81 euros and asus z97-a mobo for 126.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

spyder238 wrote: »
    If you use hardwareversand.de i'm sure you can get that stuff cheaper using http://geizhals.de/ comparison site. On Geizhals you just search the item you want and scroll to hardwareversand on the item page and compare it to hardwareversand's price to see if there's a saving to be made, if there is then click it and add to basket and repeat for other items. Just purchased an i 4690k system tonight and saved a bit. The 4690k was 203.81 euros.

I've always asked about HWVS but I've never been persuaded to order from HWVS. Ever tried them before? Someone told me here before that customer service is basically non-existent as they can't speak english. What happens if something had to be RMA'd? :confused:

I've always asked about HWVS but I've never been persuaded to order from HWVS. Ever tried them before? Someone told me here before that customer service is basically non-existent as they can't speak english. What happens if something had to be RMA'd? :confused:

I used them years ago back in 2006/7 to order a full system worth of parts and I'm pretty sure everything went ok. I remember a hard drive failing but im not sure if I ever rma'd it. Also I thought I could pay using Visa or Paypal now as it said it on the site but it was no where t be seen in the checkout so apparently it's still pay by bank transfer which is annoying but cheaper I suppose, saves me the 3% charge which works out at about 20 quid.

I used them years ago back in 2006/7 to order a full system worth of parts and I'm pretty sure everything went ok. I remember a hard drive failing but im not sure if I ever rma'd it. Also I thought I could pay using Visa or Paypal now as it said it on the site but it was no where t be seen in the checkout so apparently it's still pay by bank transfer which is annoying but cheaper I suppose, saves me the 3% charge which works out at about 20 quid.

I've never done a bank transfer before but I wouldn't mind doing it if there's no choice.

Anyway, here's a basket from HWVS:
    TTPwi.jpg

What do people think? Is it worth for me to order from them instead considering the customer service? Please don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that the Irish sites are better in customer service because to be honest, I've read horror stories about them as well. But I'd rather deal with someone I can talk to rather than someone I can't. You know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Drop that PSU.

be quiet 7 700w silver rating. 76.80
    In stock.

Crucial 120 gb SSD 57.52

Crucial ballistic sport 8gig 1600 . 59.69

Use the savings from PSU and ram to get the bigger SSD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I've bought from HWVS twice now. One time the GPU wasn't put in properly and was left tumbling around inside the case, but no damage was done and it was easily put back in. As regards customer service, it's really slow but most of the time they do get back to you and they do speak to you in understandable English. Good luck with the build!

Drop that PSU.

be quiet 7 700w silver rating. 76.80
    In stock.

Crucial 120 gb SSD 57.52

Crucial ballistic sport 8gig 1600 . 59.69

Use the savings from PSU and ram to get the bigger SSD

How are the Be Quiet PSUs? Are they any good? Sorry it's most likely just me but I've never heard of them before. I haven't been looking at computer parts recently.

I've bought from HWVS twice now. One time the GPU wasn't put in properly and was left tumbling around inside the case, but no damage was done and it was easily put back in. As regards customer service, it's really slow but most of the time they do get back to you and they do speak to you in understandable English. Good luck with the build!

That's very good to hear. Thank you very much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Be quiet are no bustas, they make good quality psus. And come highly recommend. Like the name suggest quiet, Has a silver rating good bang for buck..

Why sli 7850? They're a little dated. Be a shame putting this other quality parts in with them.

Be quiet are no bustas, they make good quality psus. And come highly recommend. Like the name suggest quiet, Has a silver rating good bang for buck..

Why sli 7850? They're a little dated. Be a shame putting this other quality parts in with them.

I already have a 7850 is one of the reasons. I also read somewhere that crossfire is good for triple monitor setups?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have dropped a couple of grand at this stage into HWVS. Just don't get them to build it for you, as I've heard a few graphic card problems. Also, ensure you put everything through the site spyder238 mentions in post #2.

Little update, went to do the transfer in BoI today as I haven't anything set up online banking wise and there was a charge of 25.35 to transfer money within the EU? which brings the price of my build within 20 quid of Scan.co.uk with delivery being from them by monday which is the day I wanted to get it so I think i'll just go with Scan. Anyone ever hear of that charge for money transfer? I think she said it's standard for anything under 10,000

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cilldroichid

That does not sound right, I transferred money to Hardwareversand last week with Ulster Bank and the charge was less than one Euro for a standard bank transfer, which the teller said would take 3 to 5 days but which Hardwareversand received in about 24 hours. There was an express(?) option for around 25 Euro but it was not compulsory.

As regards their customer service, I rang them today because one of the items I had ordered went out of stock between me placing the order and Hardwareversand receiving the money. The first person to answer said her English was not good and within a minute I was speaking to a person with fairly good English, the out of stock item was replaced with a dearer in stock item no problems. The order has now been sent, hopefully everything will arrive in one piece.

So my fist encounter with Hardwareversand customer service went well, if that helps you.

That does not sound right, I transferred money to Hardwareversand last week with Ulster Bank and the charge was less than one Euro for a standard bank transfer, which the teller said would take 3 to 5 days but which Hardwareversand received in about 24 hours. There was an express(?) option for around 25 Euro but it was not compulsory.

As regards their customer service, I rang them today because one of the items I had ordered went out of stock between me placing the order and Hardwareversand receiving the money. The first person to answer said her English was not good and within a minute I was speaking to a person with fairly good English, the out of stock item was replaced with a dearer in stock item no problems. The order has now been sent, hopefully everything will arrive in one piece.

So my fist encounter with Hardwareversand customer service went well, if that helps you.

So the only option for you was just bank transfer too yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cilldroichid

So the only option for you was just bank transfer too yeah?

No, the paypal option was there as well, I think in the last or second last step of the order process.

Emailed them today and they said for your first order the total needs to be under 500 to be able to use credit card or Paypal for whatever reason.

Anyone ever hear of that charge for money transfer? I think she said it's standard for anything under 10,000
    I think I had this option when transferring once;

Money straight away (same day?) = small charge
    Money transfer in normal time (3 or 4 days) = no charge

Cool. Thanks a lot for the info :)

Just getting back to the build. I believe this is the last question. Anyone have a comment regarding this and/or the build itself?
    I already have a 7850 is one of the reasons. I also read somewhere that crossfire is good for triple monitor setups?

Thank you all for the suggestions.

What shall you be using the triple monitor for? Extended desktop, eyeinfinity, gaming?

Regarding the ASUS 7850 DCU2, Google tells me that "all outputs can be used simultaneously so triple monitor is possible" with only the one card, but it depends on what you'll be using the card for...

the_syco wrote: »
    What shall you be using the triple monitor for? Extended desktop, eyeinfinity, gaming?

Regarding the ASUS 7850 DCU2, Google tells me that "all outputs can be used simultaneously so triple monitor is possible" with only the one card, but it depends on what you'll be using the card for...

Yeah I've said that I would be using it for eyefinity, usually gaming with eyefinity. I already have three monitors setup with a single 7850. What I meant with the question though was that, doesn't crossfired setups work better with more monitors as you have higher GPUram? Please do correct me if I'm wrong though.

Just an update with the basket so far. Decided to pay a little more for the Samsung SSD as I read somewhere that they're great:

iDaXD.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it's a 2GB 7850, I would go for it, crossfire 7850's are powerful and they can be gotten cheap 2nd hand. If its a 1GB model, consider selling and getting a new card.

If it's a 2GB 7850, I would go for it, crossfire 7850's are powerful and they can be gotten cheap 2nd hand. If its a 1GB model, consider selling and getting a new card.

I do have a 2GB version ASUS 7850 DCU2. Thanks for the advice. I think that settles it. Any other comment on the basket? :)

I will be buying this tomorrow from HWVS via bank transfer if no other suggestions come up. Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate it.

Any other comment on the basket? :)
    I regret buying a 120GB SSD, as Battlefield 4 takes up 47GBs of space :( As it stands, it's pretty much Windows, one main game, and a few apps.

If you can afford the €45 increase, go for the 250GB version of the Samsung SSD 840 EVO.

I regret buying a 120GB SSD, as Battlefield 4 takes up 47GBs of space :( As it stands, it's pretty much Windows, one main game, and a few apps.

If you can afford the €45 increase, go for the 250GB version of the Samsung SSD 840 EVO.

Oh wow. 47gb. Didnt expect that. That's what i was planning on playing mainly. That's definitely something to think about. Thanks.

Oh wow. 47gb. Didnt expect that. That's what i was planning on playing mainly. That's definitely something to think about. Thanks.
    Well, with all the DLC's thus far.

Well, with all the DLC's thus far.

Yeah i understand. But if I am to get the game i will get everything as well. Ill try and see what i can do about my budget. Thanks.

I will be getting the 250gb version. :)

Anyone else have any other final comments? :)

Everything's done now. Thanks a lot guys.

How long do orders usually take to get here?

Additional thing by the way. I didn't get charged for the bank transfer. There was an option to have the money over quickly. About 20 euro charge or something. I also had the paypal option which had about 20 euro charge as well. 3percent of the overall basket cost

• Advertisement
Advertisement