Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre supply and Alloy Wheel Repair - RX8

Options
  • 16-07-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for 4 new tyres and alloy wheel repair for my stock Mazda RX8 wheels.

Tyre size is 225/45 R18. Does anybody have any experience buying this size?

Ideally I would like Hankook K120's, 140 euro each on Oponeo, same on Camskill plus delivery.

Stupid questions coming...
    I work 9-5, how do I get these delivered?
    Do any tyre fitting places take delivery and just charge for fitting?
    Anybody know of a decent place doing both Tyres and Alloy repair?
    Best deal i've gotten so far is Kumho KH17 for 140 each fitted.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Hi all,

Ideally I would like Hankook K120's, 140 euro each on Oponeo, same on Camskill plus delivery.

In my experience camskill are always the cheapest for decent tyres even including delivery.

If ya have a fella ya normally use for tyres just rock up to him with the tyres and ask him to fit them of he says no he's a pr1ck and ya know not to do business with him anymore :D

Even ring around a few tyre places and ask will they fit your own tyres plenty do.

And where abouts are you based? There's a few places I'd recommend for alloy repair but there up and down the country so location would help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Hi all,

Get them delivered to work if poss...or a neighbour/mate...

Again ..where ya based.Dun Laoire..??.....i get mine fitted in Cabinteeley tyres...they dont mind..also theres a guy in Solus in Bray that fixes alloys....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Cheers all,

Yeah I'm in Dun Laoghaire. Work in an office so can't really get them delivered. Alloy wheels clinic in Bray wanted to charge me €450! Was budgeting about €300. Car Cosmetix quoted me €280 but €80 to fit tyres! May end up going with them as the all in price isn't too bad, I get the tyres I want, and it's fairly local.

Parcel motel need tyre size lockers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Wheel wizards do repairs and will fit the tyres for free. Two birds with the one stone.

parcel motel is your best bet since you can't get the tyres delivered to work

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

When I was pricing tyres recently, I found Oponeo to be typically cheaper than Camskill - probably largely down to the fact that the Euro is quite a bit weaker than Sterling than it has been for a while.

I'd second the recommendation for Discount Tyres in Blanchardstown - they might be able to do a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3s for around the same price as you are prepared to pay to buy tyres online and have them fitted at your own expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Wheel Wizards in Finglas are excellent for wheel refurbishments. They charge about 350 for a set of 18" which includes tyre removal, re-fit and balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chipster

Hi all

Got some great info from this thread and pretty much covered what I was looking for, recently bought a 04 A4 avant TDI S-line with bad scratches to 3 of the 4 alloys and needs new tyres. Will probably order the tyres from Oponeo as mentioned above and ask Carcosmetix (close to my work) to fit them and repair the alloys at the same time.

Just wondering how you know which is the best suited tyre for the car? i.e. original poster said he wanted Hanook K120s - I wouldn't have a notion what I want or whats best? Money is real tight trying to get all the bits right so don't want to over spec on the tyres with no need for it

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Luckily the RX8 has a big fan club and owner's websites. I'm sure there is similar for Audi's? I looked at lots of tyre websites, read reviews of all the tyres, found a sweet spot between budget and label ratings. I know a little about cars so wouldn't touch any brand I hadn't heard of.

Regarding refurbishing the alloys, mine just have cosmetic damage to the outer rim. The Smart Repair Centre in Cookstown/Tallaght quoted me €500 for wheels and a good amount of paint work "touch-upping". Very impressed with the set up out there and I trust them to do a good job on wheels and bodywork. I can't justify spending 3-500 euro on only the wheels when they are in good condition structurally.

Edit: I ordered my tyres from Oponeo at midday on Thursday, they came midday on Tuesday using GLS delivery and I had tracking the whole way. Very impressed and local tyre places will fit for €15 a tyre.

Advertisement