Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice to see rip of Ireland alive and well

Options
  • 16-07-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

ok so
    I was on the hunt for some car parts, (exhaust back box) so started calling round the dismantling car yards,

the ones that did have it were trying to sell it of for more then the cost of a new one, they quoted me between €40 €50 and €60 quid for 2nd hand stuff

I told them they were only €35 new on eBay .with extra for postage €25
    they rudely said go buy it then,,hung up the phone
    and theses guys are selling 2nd hand stuff from a car as old as mine,
    as in 10 year old !!!

rip of number 2
    went to a car assessory shop, they quoted me €90 euro !!! for exhaust

quick fit €110 fitted

I mean how the hell can a guy in Germany sell it to me from eBay and delivery to my door for €55 euro !!!!
    how the hell are they making money here !!! it's just grab all...
    the Irish car breakers don't have to post nor do the car shops, even the item it's self costs so much more

so I went for the German option

plus local mechanic to put it on for €25 Which isn't a bad price,

hmm €55 exhaust
    +€25 mechanic
    =€75. ??????? it's a no brainer

no wonder the places are closed up all over the place here.....

eBay is me new buddy to say the least

ðŸ˜

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ok so
    I was on the hunt for some car parts, (exhaust back box) so started calling round the dismantling car yards,

the ones that did have it were trying to sell it of for more then the cost of a new one, they quoted me between €40 €50 and €60 quid for 2nd hand stuff

as in 10 year old !!!

rip of number 2

quick fit €110 fitted

I mean how the hell can a guy in Germany sell it to me from eBay and delivery to my door for €55 euro !!!!
    the Irish car breakers don't have to post nor do the car shops, even the item it's self costs so much more

hmm €55 exhaust
    +€25 mechanic

ðŸ˜

25+35 is not 55; and 55+25 is not 75 either...

What car dismantlers are "closed up all over the place"?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭pyrotechnics

MYOB wrote: »
    25+35 is not 55; and 55+25 is not 75 either...

What car dismantlers are "closed up all over the place"?

exactly their not closed up .. to busy ripping people of and earning loads of money....

by the way there's plenty of businesses closed up all over the place .. I wonder why.. rip

ok got a few typo mistakes in there with the pricing
    the exhaust was € 31 new
    postage was €24
    mechanic was €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

exactly their not closed up .. to busy ripping people of and earning loads of money....

by the way there's plenty of businesses closed up all over the place .. I wonder why.. rip

ok got a few typo mistakes in there with the pricing
    the exhaust was € 31 new
    postage was €24
    mechanic was €25

News flash, item is cheaper on ebay than in shop. OP, online sellers can sell particular items in bulk and often do not have the wages/overheads/taxes/vat that a shop has. But bare in mind, you don't know what you are going to get from an online seller until it arrives, you can however go and pick up the item you want from the breakers yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

ok so

as in 10 year old !!!

rip of number 2

quick fit €110 fitted

hmm €55 exhaust
    +€25 mechanic

ðŸ˜

I've sold plenty of car parts (for cars 10+) over the last year. Must say, the price I get here is a lot lower than what I get over in the uk.
    One thing though with most scrappies is they won't haggle with you, primarily because they know someone else will pay that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I'm not in the business but have bought numerous parts over the years and have usually found the dismantlers very good to deal with. Bear in mind that they have insurance and labour costs to pay that the guy on eBay doesn't. They usually have to buy the car, transport it, store it, pay for someone to take the part off. All of this needs to be factored in. Also a lot of parts online are spurious parts and may not be up to the same standard as original parts. Having said that I have found micks garage to be very good for certain parts compared to breakers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭pyrotechnics

ah here overheads!! I'm sure the guy in Germany has a company too and isn't making them in his bedroom ,,

the price difference is huge..
    I'd love to be able to pop round to the local breakers yard and pick it up
    but to pay more for something thats 5 or 10 year old is crazy...
    plus the breakers are getting most of the cars for little or noting,,,

that's their business ok..but their way over priced ...ie rip of Ireland

€30 quid new
    breakers yard €40 €50 €60 quid for an exhaust that's as old as the car!!! 10 year.....!!!
    so don't talk to me about ya don't know what your getting..
    sure you's are probably all dismantlers on this tread any patting each other on the back. trying to justify ripping ppl of with your stories about overheads and taxes

here Jonny have you a bulb for that old Morris minor !!! yea son €100 quid and it's yours lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

ah here overheads!! I'm sure the guy in Germany has a company too and isn't making them in his bedroom ,,

€30 quid new
    breakers yard €40 €50 €60 quid for an exhaust that's as old as the car!!! 10 year.....!!!
    sure you's are probably all dismantlers on this tread any patting each other on the back. trying to justify ripping ppl of with your stories about overheads and taxes

here Jonny have you a bulb for that old Morris minor !!! yea son €100 quid and it's yours lol

I work in life insurance so am the furthest thing from a dismantler. I'm not saying the guy in Germany doesn't have overheads but they probably aren't as high as the guy who has a yard full of cars here. As for getting the cars for little or nothing where are they getting them. Anything that they get worth having certainly isn't free. Have you priced the same part new here? I wouldn't consider an exhaust for €50 or €60 a bad price if you're get an exhaust in good condition. You don't know the build quality of an exhaust online until it arrives

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You just said they were.

And you just said - just there ^ - that businesses "ripping people" are "earning loads of money" and "not closed".

Which is it?

Random pattern part for €55 shipped is probably something you could have got from any motor factor in Ireland; you're comparing that to the price of a genuine second hand part. Not the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

€30 quid new

When you phone a breakers yard and as for a VW golf exhaust, you get an exhaust from a VW Golf, are you sure you are getting a VW golf exhaust when you order it online? Or is it a generic exhaust which will fit a VW golf? Who knows til it arrives? Your choice, but if it doesn't fit and you have to send it back, that is more time your car is off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

€30 quid new

I hate to break it too you, but the local stores and breakers in Germany cannot compete with the online stores in Germany that buy massive amounts of bulk from Eastern Europe for online sale.

I live in the Netherlands and work in Germany so have direct access to both markets, have maintained my own car for the last 180000 km.

You'll always get stuff much cheaper in eBay but if you need it today its worth it to pay twice or even three times the price to get it locally (to get to work and so on)

Netherlands is way more expensive than Ireland for parts.

Stuff like Wheel hubs for example you'll get for half the price in East Germany than in Western Germany.

You'll get it even cheaper from Poland (except for things with precious metals in them like Catalytic Convertors)

Tyre's are another example, the local crowds find it impossible to compete with Delticom (I think in Ireland their called eiretyres or something)

On the other side second hand cars in Ireland are dirt cheap compared to cars in NRW or most of the Netherlands.

So I don't think its Rip off Ireland specifically .. I hardly ever buy car parts in NL anymore, but then again the market isn't as big, its only 16 million people vs 82 million in the Bundesrepublik ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I just love posters who when they are answered with fairly respectable comments that go against thier thread, then suddenly they accuse the posters of being "interested parties".

I suppoe I'm a car dismantler too now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

delahuntv wrote: »
    I just love posters who when they are answered with fairly respectable comments that go against thier thread, then suddenly they accuse the posters of being "interested parties".

I suppoe I'm a car dismantler too now! :)

Definitely, can shmell the dismantling off you from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

On the other side second hand cars in Ireland are dirt cheap compared to cars in NRW or most of the Netherlands.

Really? I'm not dis-believing you, but I have a Dutch work colleague who always complains the price of cars here (brand new and 2nd hand) is unreal compared to what his brother can buy in the NL....

MBSnr wrote: »
    Really? I'm not dis-believing you, but I have a Dutch work colleague who always complains the price of cars here (brand new and 2nd hand) is unreal compared to what his brother can buy in the NL....

Unreal on the cheap side; not the dear side. Cars in NL are hideously dear. They have a registration tax (BPM) that makes our VRT seem low for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

MYOB wrote: »
    Unreal on the cheap side; not the dear side. Cars in NL are hideously dear. They have a registration tax (BPM) that makes our VRT seem low for starters.

Mad that then, as compared to a car in the UK, we pay a lot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

MBSnr wrote: »

Your mate is off his rocker.

If I could buy a car from Ireland second hand and import it to NL BPM free I would do it in a heartbeat (even with the steering wheel on the wrong side)

:D

Advertisement