Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Petit Moulin - Extras

Options
  • 16-07-2014 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi everyone, recently got engaged, we had booked and paid the deposit for a venue in France, Le Petit Moulin between Bordeaux and La Rochelle. When we went to see the place there seemed to be a whole lot of add ons and it's nearly double the price. Has anyone any similar experiences in France or recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

You paid a deposit on a place before you went out to view it?
    I'm assuming you've also signed a contract to go with the deposit?

It'll all depend on what's stated in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Yes - it was always risky to take that chance with the deposit - it was in order to secure their only date next summer, and was just a holding deposit so have not signed the contract yet.

It may have been remiss of me to presume that items such as barstaff, teas and coffees etc were included, they're not, making an already unpalatable cost just untenable.

We were also told that we have to pay in sterling - so are losing out with the exchange rate. We have asked for a number of different items and will try to negotiate, but it doesn't look good so will be most likely back to the drawing board!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh dear!! Even in Ireland they tend to give you one price that seems ok and then when you start asking questions the add ons come into it.. Tea/Coffee seems a bit extreme to be charging extra for them..

Bar staff not too familiar with the place but just from googleing it does seem as though it is a rental place and not a hotel of sorts is this right.. If so them yep bar staff and catering any extras like that you will and kinda in a nice way should expect to have to do..

Then on the other hand it gives you the freedom to do what you want.. Do you really need bar staff, most of the time the catereers will bring staff so they will serve the drinks with dinner and that other than that then you could ask a close friend or someone who may want to get involved to run the bar...

Take note also for things like loo roll and small bits and pieces that they might not provide..

Musgraves or cash and carries are good places to buy bulk items like tea and coffee its cheaper and no vat!!

Hi Milly33 - thanks for your feedback. They have an in-house planner who presented the package as an all-inclusive one, so that we wouldn't need to liaise directly with caterer or organise bar staff! I should have looked more closely at what was included, but it is basically working out at 16K for three nights accomodation for 20 people, canapes, two glasses of bubbly and three course dinner. Owners are English and have to pay in sterling which is also driving up the price. This is no Powerscourt or amazing chateau, it's a pretty millhouse but I just can't get my head around that amount of money! Their caterer doesn't allow tastings and we're not allowed to source our own! Maybe this is my lesson to learn - look before you leap and caveat emptor!

Ouch really, odd that they are taking complete control over the entire wedding, normally it is the opposite.

Not sure as to what ye can do as ye have already paid the deposit,but you could try contact the owners directly and say that ye were unaware of these extras. Say they were not pointed out but the planner correctly. Perhaps the owners may be a little bit more accommodating, you never know they might not know how the planner is working..

Would defo say things like the tastings that they should be a must! That it is within your rights to taste the food before purchasing if they are pushing ye to take their caterers..Sure how do you know what kind of food or quality food ye will be getting..

To be honest it all sounds a little dodge.. Try get onto the owners..

I know it is Ireland but we are doing the same here renting out a venue, and its that you pay and you do what you want with it..They are there to help and guide you but that it is, sounds a bit iffy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

OP, what proportion did you have to pay in a deposit? If it wasn't very big and even if they won't give it back, I'd nearly just cancel and go for somewhere that doesn't give you the feel that they're trying to pull one over on you. This is your wedding and you've every right to feel confident in the staff and food that you'll be getting.
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Musgraves or cash and carries are good places to buy bulk items like tea and coffee its cheaper and no vat!!

It's only VAT free if you're a business.

Most of them let you off if your only picking up a few things well down this side anywho, or someone is bound to know someone with an account.. call me haha..

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

Best of luck sorting this one out.

There is just one thing that jumped out at me. You say you can't get the caterers to do a tasting. For France I find that extremely bizzare. The French (the ones I know anyway!) are mental about their food and really picky. I can't imagine a French person employing a catering company without tasting their food first. So for a company based in France, this would seem a strange practice - unless they never cater for French people!!!

I'm guessing they don't if they want to get paid in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

That all sounds bizarre. Why are they making you pay in £? The business is in France, should be registered in France and therefore should accept €. Sounds like they are operating under the table.

I dont see how they wont allow tastings, surely one of the reasons for getting married in France would be the food experience? You should insist on it, its common practice to taste the food. You dont say if wine is included in the price you were quoted? If not then what happens with that? Can you buy your own? 2 glasses of fizz is also quite stingy in France where you can pick a bottle up for peanuts.

Sounds to me like you already have reservations so if it were me I would go with my instincts and tell them to shove their package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

If you have to pay in sterling, try to save money by using something like currencyfair.com

no affiliation with them, I just know its a cheap way to transfer currency and if youre into 5 figures, savings could be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 msdoc

Did you pay the deposit by credit card? Could you phone the credit card company and ask them what the chance would be for a charge back? Were the extra costs concealed or were they there and you didn't notice.
    Or, is there a possibility of asking for deposit back if they manage to fill the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Don't you have to be living in France for 6 weeks before you can get married there??? Is that part of it sorted? Are you getting married in Ireland first?

EDIT: Christ Almighty, it costs £7000 to rent the place out for a week in summer as a holiday home and they charge £450 cleaning charge which must be paid in cash 3 days before check out. Seems a bit extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Don't you have to be living in France for 6 weeks before you can get married there??? Is that part of it sorted? Are you getting married in France?

Was thinking the exact same thing!

€16k is so expensive, you would get a fab wedding here for that in an unbelievable venue that is your for the day and have 100 guests. Not to mention the cost of everyone even getting to France. I am all for weddings abroad don't get me wrong but I think if you are going there to 1.keep down the numbers and/or 2.keep down the cost, you should think of the cost on your guests.

Thanks for your advice everyone - pulled the plug on Le Petit Moulin, got half the deposit back which is better than nothing - but such a rip off for what it is! Have found a lot of alternatives in the same area for much better value. Once our own is booked I will be sure to let them and other brides looking know the better value that is out there. Lesson learned!

Sherlof3 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice everyone - pulled the plug on Le Petit Moulin, got half the deposit back which is better than nothing - but such a rip off for what it is! Have found a lot of alternatives in the same area for much better value. Once our own is booked I will be sure to let them and other brides looking know the better value that is out there. Lesson learned!
    Well done! I'm sure it was a difficult decision to make but if no one does it they'll just keep ripping people off

Oh shame they did not work out for ye but better off that ye got out of it now rather than later.. Yes do warn others of their sneakiness and best of luck finding a new place

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Sherlof3 wrote: »

Would you mind sharing some alternatives that you found ? We are looking for a venue around the Bordeaux area for this time next year. Cheers

Hi a lot of places are already booked for next Summer, but if you are looking at April or September you should be ok. Also it depends on how much organisation you want to do yourself. Generally the places that 'do' weddings are more expensive but there's less of a headache. Ie Longveau, Chateau Soulac. The French tend to get married at home so these venues are aimed at Irish, English and Americans. If you have any French, check out Mariages dot net, it's a French wedding site.mdont translate to English or you'll get the UK website. If you're happy to DIY, abbaye de fontdouce, Chateau de la Roche Courbon, Chateau de Crazannes, Annaye Aux Dames. If you would go with a wedding planner, Beth Stretton from Marry me in France is great! Let me know how you get on maybe we can share supplier details. She costs about three grand..

Advertisement