Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will hire me?

Options
  • 16-07-2014 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

So I did my leaving last June, and have sent away a pile of CV's since then, but I can't get a job for the life of me.

I have essentially no experience at all, other then 2 weeks work experience in TY, one was in retail, the other in the returns department of an electronics distributor.

I've applied to bars, hotels, and a variety of retail shops, but haven't even got one reply.

Any tips or know any types of businesses who would take on a total beginner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Is college/University , post leaving cert courses not an option or you don't want to head down that road ?

Are you just looking for a Summer Job before College starts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

You sound young enough, so:

Firstly - come up with a long term plan.
    The long term plan may be 12, 24, 36, 60 months etc.

I appreciate that planning etc may not be what you want to do right now or that it's stuff people have been telling you to do.
    However, you need to figure out what it is you really want to do in life.
    Even if that may change....eventually many people change directions.

However, you need something to work towards.

In the short term:
    1) If you're not doing anything on a day to day basis - start hitting businesses directly
    2) If you are really motivated - offer them some free short term work so that they can make up their own minds
    3) As part of this you also sometimes need to lose any shyness etc and become an extrovert.
    4) look at that CV and what it says exactly - are you talking to a recruiter or the actual person hiring you?
    5) Is that CV just repeating what you've done in your life thus far or is it really GETTING across the stuff you're good at / have done / and can provide and repeat going forwards.

For example:
    1) I Have done XYZ
    2) I have done XYZ and this is what makes me different.
    3) I have done XYZ and this is what makes me different because of this.
    4) I was the first to do this, or i developed this, or i thought of this ....

This are all building blocks, right?
    You just need to think of your life experience and rephrase it.

Get a job in a bar for example and afterwards you can enunciate how you deal with different people and situations.

But firstly, become an extrovert and get that first job.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

Thanks for the advice!

I'm looking for a part-time job for the summer and then possibly continue the job once university starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Use your network.

Relatives, friend's parents...

At least one of them will own or manage a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

did you just send off the cvs or call in person. more often than not, personal approach works best. even places you have called to few weeks ago, call back to them again. lots of school leavers take a job for a few weeks and then leave to have a holiday before they head to college themselves. walk the legs off trying everywhere you can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You can plan all you like but you need to ask around and network keep an eye out for shops/bars that might be hiring those that might put up notices on windows. Regularly browse online job websites and local news paper might have ads in. The classifieds might be worth a look. Networking be important asking around letting people know you are looking.

Advertisement