Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

56 and up

Options
  • 16-07-2014 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭

Anyone follow this at all?

I can remember the last two.

Can't believe it's been 7 years since the last one. Always brings a tear to my eye. Feck it goes by so quickly, life that is.

Will definitely watch tomorrow and Thursday to see how others get on.

PS I'm sure this is the first time I've watched UTV in 7 years - worst station on the planet - except for this programme...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've been slowly working through the older ones as marathoning them proved to be less than ideal.

56 and up was first broadcast 2 years ago so it's not a new 'episode' by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I've been slowly working through the older ones as marathoning them proved to be less than ideal.

56 and up was first broadcast 2 years ago so it's not a new 'episode' by any means.

Oh, okay. New to me at least.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It was new to me. I had heard of the series in the past as having inspired BBCs child of Our Times but I'd never watched it. Even with no background info I found last nights program fascinating. The stories of Neil and Paul stood out. Paul had such a hard start and seemed so confused but sweet in the little VTs of him as a child but grew into such a lovely,gentle man, really retained his lovely nature against the odds. Neil started out such a little shiny bright button and then had such a horrible toll taken on him by mental illness but had persevered and while still struggling was an inspiring man I thought.

It was very thought provoking, left me thinking about what experiences define us as people.I was very sorry I had missed past episodes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

Yeah I managed to catch on to this series about 2 series back too. They've also started doing a more modern version of this with a new generation of children, the last one aired about 4/5 years ago which was 14up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Neil Hughes is such an interesting person. By his own admission, the programme gives a slanted and edited version of his persona, but he is to be admired for the life-long struggle he has had. What bleak and remote places he removed himself to in years gone by (and I've been to the Shetlands and west Scotland)

• Advertisement
Advertisement