Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Street

Options
  • 15-07-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching this.
    Quite a good documentary about O' Connell street (in Dublin- for the pedantic).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's decent enough, think it's just a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Interesting and well done,all human life.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought it was interesting enough, there was a real look of yearning in the paper seller's face after he said he'd liked to have been a musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

The Ice Cream guy sounded like a bit of a git IMO. Good programme though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Degag wrote: »

I was laughing when he started talking about "concepts". It was an ice cream parlour, not an art gallery :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Loved the Asian woman opening her restaurant. Typically hardworking and pleasant.
    She was thinking of opening at 7 but was persuaded to open later.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DizzyDamsel

The birds-eye-views of the street made it look really pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Enjoyable enough,pity RTE wouldn't make a 4 or 5 episode series like this.Would've been an idea to let the viewers know how Betty and the ice cream lad are getting on these days too.

The wistful paper seller,the Simon Community workers and that Polish street cleaner all came across really well I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I sincerely wish the woman opening the restaurant the best of luck :) she seemed very hard working and determined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Ice Cream guy was a dick
    Polish street cleaner came across as a thoroughly decent bloke
    Asian lady was really pleasant

• Advertisement

Enjoyable enough,pity RTE wouldn't make a 4 or 5 episode series like this.Would've been an idea to let the viewers know how Betty and the ice cream lad are getting on these days too.

The wistful paper seller,the Simon Community workers and that Polish street cleaner all came across really well I thought.

Great word, that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I really enjoyed this as well, I'd love to have seen a three part series or something talking to some of the characters on the street, some more of the street traders, etc. That flower seller sounded like he might have been interesting and the newspaper guy certainly had a few stories in him I'd say :D

All well done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Degag wrote: »
    Ice Cream guy was a dick
    Polish street cleaner came across as a thoroughly decent bloke
    Asian lady was really pleasant

Why was he a dick / git? Because you didn't like his accent / or his looks, or what? He was as hard working and as stressed out as the Asian woman and his work ethic was the same. I just don't get that attitude, or all the thank you's either.

I don't know the man in any way shape or form...just wondering why people make their minds up so quickly about disliking one person and yet like the other, when both are working their behinds off to get a business off of the ground. I suspect it's because one has a posh(ish) accent and is Irish and the other one isn't and therefore there's a lot of conclusions jumped to about both.

Babooshka wrote: »
    Why was he a dick / git? Because you didn't like his accent / or his looks, or what? He was as hard working and as stressed out as the Asian woman and his work ethic was the same. I just don't get that attitude, or all the thank you's either.

I don't know the man in any way shape or form...just wondering why people make their minds up so quickly about disliking one person and yet like the other, when both are working their behinds off to get a business off of the ground. I suspect it's because one has a posh(ish) accent and is Irish and the other one isn't and therefore there's a lot of conclusions jumped to about both.

Came across as a bit pretentious,and the attempted motivational speech to his staff was David Brent-esque.Nothing to do with being posh or whatever,for me at least.

The Chinese lady was far more entertaining and sympathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I guess people found it hard to identify with him. Seemed like the typical business head to me. To me it seemed the wrong location for that kinda ice cream parlour.

I was wondering what their rent would be there.

Made me realise I've only been on OConnell street about half a dozen times in the last 10yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Came across as a bit pretentious,and the attempted motivational speech to his staff was David Brent-esque.Nothing to do with being posh or whatever,for me at least.

The Chinese lady was far more entertaining and sympathetic.

Entertaining is fair enough. In fairness, if I had to choose which one I would get stuck in a lift with I would pick the Chinese lady as she seemed less "wooden" which I think was all he was guilty of...being a bit wooden and yes that business like thing, but he was trying his best, I didn't think it warranted being called git / dick by people, thought it was a bit too strong. (I know those comments were not yours!)

Drove by the ice cream parlour this morning - looks like it's getting a facelift

Still though - Il Gentile Italiano- or whatever it's called - how are passers by supposed to surmise it's an ice cream shop?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Drove by the ice cream parlour this morning - looks like it's getting a facelift

Still though - Il Gentile Italiano- or whatever it's called - how are passers by supposed to surmise it's an ice cream shop?

Yeah he seemed very into the 'style' of the place but then found that no one knew they were an ice cream place on opening day - the place should have been mobbed on St. Patrick's Day! Anyway, he is still there so hopefully it does good business. It's nice to see something other than a burger/pizza place there and I have read a good review of it somewhere else on Boards (I think).

Was crap weather on Paddy's Day plus majority of folk are on the piss.Thought it was a bizarre time to open.

Walked by it on Tuesday afternoon anyway, and it was packed inside and were lots of tourists sitting outside too so he must be doing okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

A great advertisement for Stokes clocks in Cork. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Watched this the other night. Fair play to the two business owners. I warmed more to the Chinese lady than the ice cream fella. Polish guy came across as a genuine chap and happy to be hear. It really is shocking that all the junkies plague on of our main streets. If I went to a city and so drug needles on the ground, open drug dealing and the likes hanging around I wouldn't go back a second time.

It's a complete kip of a street. Needs serious investment. I HATE walking up and down it every day

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Should rename it Methodone Street, junkies, beggers and scumbags pestering people, must be one of worst main streets in Europe.

terenc wrote: »
    Should rename it Methodone Street, junkies, beggers and scumbags pestering people, must be one of worst main streets in Europe.

Have to agree with this

Absolute kip

Advertisement