Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation needed asap - Belgian

Options
  • 15-07-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Going here in twenty minutes: http://www.belgo-restaurants.co.uk/beers

I know very little about belgian beers, is anything they have a must drink?

Choose centraal from the dropdown to see what they have.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

From quick googling/vague name recognition, I'm thinkin Saison Dupont, La Chouffe, and Boon Gueze are all worth a shout?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kwak and Westmalle Dubbel are both pretty tasty. Just keep an eye on the alcohol content, a lot of Belgian beers are quite strong and you can end up plastered a lot quicker than you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Aw jeepers, what can I say to you. That is a fine selection of beers and you probably will enjoy most of them. One think I'd say is check the strengths as some of them are seriously strong!

Off the top of my head, the trappist beers are beautiful; Chimay, Westmalle, Rochefort particularly. Duvel is also really nice.

The Floris range are fruit beers and not to everybody's taste.

If you want something akin to what you might be used to and not crazy strong Bruges Zot Blond and Bruin are nice.

Other than that; Leffe, Delerium Tremens, St. Feuillien, La Chouffe.

Don't think you'll be disappointed whatever you pick. Enjoy!

Cheers for the recommendations guys!

I had a Westmalle Dubbel, which was delicious, and a Boon Gueuze, which was.. different, had never tried a lambic before. Kind of reminded me of homebrew cider :) I think I would appreciate it with a few more attempts.

Girl I was with had a Pawel Kwak and a Bruges Zot Blonde, and enjoyed both.

Great spot and excellent food, would recommend if anyone is in London.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Always pick La Chouffe ;)

• Advertisement

It was too expensive for me unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GinoS

For me Rochefort is the best you can get quality wise. Rochefort 10 has an alcohol percentage of about 11,3% so it's quite a sturdy beer. However the work which goes into it can really be tasted and you'll definately won't have a hangover after drinking this because of the excellent quality.

Another great beer which you could try is St. Bernardus. They have a few excellent beers of which the Prior 8 is my favorite.

Next to these beers you could also try:

- Duvel - Very sturdy with a lot of power and taste
    - Karmeliet - Lighter Belgian beer which is really easy going but still quite strong
    - La Chouffe - A bit like Duvel but less strong and a bit more going on taste-wise
    - De Gulden Draak - Excellent dark beer with a creamy after taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

GinoS wrote: »
    For me Rochefort is the best you can get quality wise. Rochefort 10 has an alcohol percentage of about 11,3% so it's quite a sturdy beer. However the work which goes into it can really be tasted and you'll definately won't have a hangover after drinking this because of the excellent quality.
    The quality or otherwise of a beer has nothing to do with whether you get a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Ah, Belgo! I wish it stayed in Dublin. Ahead of its time ...

Good recommendations here. Start off with a geuze (light, fizzy, sour, fruity) and move on to heavier ones. But all good recommendations here. I'm a particular fan of Karmeleit.

Advertisement