Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get discount or half price musical tickets in Dublin?

Options
  • 15-07-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I'm seeking advice on the best ways to get discount tickets for musicals in Dublin. The Grand Canal Theatre is quite large. For less popular shows they often have many empty seats (way back of course) mid week.

Do they ever offer a half price or buy-one-get-one ticket policy for same day performances - like just show up at the box office?

Or do you have other sources of discounted tickets? Like which newspapers should I read or websites I can sign up to get notified or Facebook pages to check regularly?

Awhile back I received a special offer in the BGET email newsletter (9 to 5 the Musical) and just today in the Rewarding Times (from the Irish Times) there was an offer for a Tuesday night Showboat performance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

ScottSF wrote: »
    I'm seeking advice on the best ways to get discount tickets for musicals in Dublin. The Grand Canal Theatre is quite large. For less popular shows they often have many empty seats (way back of course) mid week.

Do they ever offer a half price or buy-one-get-one ticket policy for same day performances - like just show up at the box office?

Or do you have other sources of discounted tickets? Like which newspapers should I read or websites I can sign up to get notified or Facebook pages to check regularly?

Awhile back I received a special offer in the BGET email newsletter (9 to 5 the Musical) and just today in the Rewarding Times (from the Irish Times) there was an offer for a Tuesday night Showboat performance.

Rewarding times is the only thing that has done a few, when I was booking Showboat I checked my account and had bought three shows on there . Occasionally the theatre will do a flash offer, sign up for their mailing list but it's not very often.

Have never understood why it's considered better to play to half empty houses than to have a tkts type organisation. Was having this conversation with a friend at the weekend and reckoned if you added in all the live music venues and theatres there are enough options to sustain such an outlet.

But no, the box office don't discount tickets on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

No, the GCT doesn't have any sort of standby rate where you can turn up in the last hour and get a reduced price ticket. It's either full price or nothing so the seats are left empty.

If a performance is selling really badly they sometimes give the tickets away (e.g. American Idiot). Sometimes they do 2 for 1 offers for performances during the week. But no system for selling off unsold seats on the day.
    Why they'd rather leave the seats empty rather than get some money for them + the additional revenue spent in the bars etc. is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Another scheme I wish they would offer is a season subscription. Many theatres in the US let you buy a ticket for the entire season or a package of shows (like pick any 4 musicals or plays as part of your season pass). Theatre goers receive a combined discount for buying the season in advance and more seats get sold even for less popular performances. Another advantage of the season pass is that subscribers can exchange their tickets at the box office for a different date at no cost. That helps me as I have a hard time knowing my schedule so many months in advance - the GCT often puts their shows up for sale too far in advance.

Has anything like this ever been done at any theatre in Ireland? Seems like a win-win in my opinion.

ScottSF wrote: »
    Another scheme I wish they would offer is a season subscription. Many theatres in the US let you buy a ticket for the entire season or a package of shows (like pick any 4 musicals or plays as part of your season pass). Theatre goers receive a combined discount for buying the season in advance and more seats get sold even for less popular performances. Another advantage of the season pass is that subscribers can exchange their tickets at the box office for a different date at no cost. That helps me as I have a hard time knowing my schedule so many months in advance - the GCT often puts their shows up for sale too far in advance.

Has anything like this ever been done at any theatre in Ireland? Seems like a win-win in my opinion.

As far as I know the National Concert Hall do something like this

Avenue Q tickets now available on rewarding times for 20 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

athtrasna wrote: »
    Avenue Q tickets now available on rewarding times for 20 euro

I had a feeling that there would an offer on Tuesday. Thanks for letting us know. Unfortunately I have Japanese language class that evening otherwise I would have definitely went with my wife to see this hilarious show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Advertisement