Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks who's back

Options
  • 15-07-2014 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

Not trying to start one of the usual threads regarding doping which usually attracts the lurkers to voice an opinion but this took the biscuit

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/14/jamaican-sprinters-asafa-powell-sherone-simpson-doping-bans-cut

For those who have spoke out about the Jamaican testing system in the past I think it should be pointed out that they were against WADA's decision to reduce to ban.

3 high profile bans last year and not one of them lasted 12 months, not only this but a record awarding in legal costs coming out of an already limited anti doping budget.

What kinda message does this send?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Back in action tonight in Lucerne, a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Am I the only one who thought he was on about drquirky with the thread title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Finnt wrote: »

No:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Finnt wrote: »

I did, but since I was away on hols I don't know where he is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Poor run by both him and Simpson tonight, I was surprised by the reaction they both received by the crowd, lots of claps when they were introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I did, but since I was away on hols I don't know where he is gone.

low threshold for bluffers and BS meant his head was wrecked so he decided to close his account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

TRR wrote: »
    low threshold for bluffers and BS meant his head was wrecked so he decided to close his account!
    I thought it was because he was a feminist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

"They put forward that the offense committed was minor because it was caused by contamination of the food supplement Epiphany D1 by the banned substance oxilofrine and requested that the suspensions be reduced to three months" - If they prove that this is the case then why shouldn't it be reduced?

The majority of food supplements are tainted and no one at this level should be taking any possible risk but if you are taking any supplement then contamination can occur.

"awarding in legal costs" now this is BS as they were in the wrong. next it will be loss of earnings.

http://www.epiphanyd1.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Oxilofrine is only banned in-competition. An 18 month suspension for a substance only banned in-competition seems incredibly harsh. A DQ from the competition in question would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

This is interesting..

I have a leinster season ticket and played rugby for 20 years [before taking up running and actually getting fit!!]. But clearly the world thinks EVERY cyclist and runner is off their heads on drugs, where other sports have bigger issues [Look at Baseball and American Football, where you get banned for a few games after getting caught for 2nd time, then banned for a season the 3rd time or something insane]..

In an odd way, maybe the issue is "too much" testing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This is interesting..

I have a leinster season ticket and played rugby for 20 years [before taking up running and actually getting fit!!]. But clearly the world thinks EVERY cyclist and runner is off their heads on drugs, where other sports have bigger issues [Look at Baseball and American Football, where you get banned for a few games after getting caught for 2nd time, then banned for a season the 3rd time or something insane]..

In an odd way, maybe the issue is "too much" testing...

In American football it seems the bans for recreational drug use are a lot more severe than for performance enhancing drugs.

The players union refuses to submit to a test for HGH and in short it seeems the NFL just doesn't care about PED use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Oxilofrine is only banned in-competition. An 18 month suspension for a substance only banned in-competition seems incredibly harsh. A DQ from the competition in question would suffice.

I agree that the initial ban was unprecedented given the banned substance but the fact the ban was reduced rather than overturned (to again a longer than usual ban) while still awarding the athletes compensation in the form the largest legal fee award sends out a very bad message.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

TRR wrote: »

Hope he decides to come back, he gave some good advice and added a bit of craic to the forum.

Maybe reincarnated as Dr Quirkyer!

TbL

Advertisement