Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tendinosis has stoped me running. Help!

Options
  • 15-07-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm a long time runner and I've been unable to run for the last 4 months. I've had an MRI and I've been told I have tendinosis in the ball of my foot. I had only heard of tendinitis before and assumed the same treatment would work. Rest, ice and physio etc. it hasn't and I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has got through it and would share how they did it with me. Any help would be most appreciated. D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Without going into medical advice (prohibited by charter) how long have you been getting treatment? Unfortunately there are no quick fixes with tendinosis as it is a degenerative condition usually resulting from inadequate recovery of tendinitis (or other degenerative factors). In terms of rest this would go beyond just stopping running given the location.

Icing would be a difference in the treatments also and I would probably aim to avoid.

It is treatable but the biggest obstacle with this form of injury unfortunately is patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sorry OP, but as per charter we can't offer medical advice here.
    We do not give out medical advice. Injuries may have common symptoms but are unique to the individual - just because you were able to keep training with X injury or were out for months because of Y doesn't mean that the same will apply to someone else. Bad advice given here and followed through could aggravate an injury and prevent an athlete making a full recovery in as rapid a time as possible. This restriction is Boards-wide and purposely heavy-handed. So don't feel offended if your thread about a sprained ankle (which you may deem "non-medical") gets locked.

Ecoli has mentioned some good points. Has your physio experience of treating runners? Maybe someone might be able to advise of a physio who regularly deals with runners in you area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Descyjoyco

Thanks for that. Have been to two physios but little or no improvement. Not looking for advice so much has anyone else had it in the ball of their foot and how long etc. seeing consultant in two weeks so hopefully that will give some insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Not in the ball of my foot but just told yesterday I have achilles tendonopathy. Physio is giving me dry needle therapy to loosen up the soleus/ calf muscles and she reckon's it originates from my hips cos I'm not engaging them properly when I run. ( also i've increased mileage too quickly) I've to rest for a week anyway to start off with until the tightness and pain is completely gone. Not even supposed to go walking. Cycling and swimming ok to keep up activity. I'm going to start pilates to try and get core/ hips working like they should be. And very gradually increase mileage from now on in. Otherwise, she says, I'll just be getting injured again and again.

Frustrating but it made a lot of sense to me.

Hope you can get to the bottom of your issue.

Advertisement