Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG virus threat - COOEE MS Launcher

Options
  • 15-07-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Newbie question.
    Just bought a CUBOT S208 for my missus.
    Nice phone so far.

Installed AVG and low and behold it flags something called "COOEE MS Launcher" as a threat.
    What is that? :confused:
    Tried uninstalling it..... unsuccessful.

Much obliged for any explanation / advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Hard to find info online about this, but from what I've read, unless you're rooted it's difficult to remove. Seeing as you've only gotten the phone recently, why not do a factory reset, guaranteed to remove it. If there's a folder called 'cooee' on the root of the SD card, remove it and try uninstalling again.

Be careful of apps you download on the store. Check reviews before downloading, and if it ever does stuff like offer free wallpapers/ringtones, looks dodgy etc. it usually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Found this thread with steps on how to remove it. (Ah, sorry just realised it's for a PC)

You could also try a Malwarebytes scan.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malwarebytes.antimalware&hl=en

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/topic/129509-help-removing-virus-attack-thank-you/

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

Cydoniac,
    I tried a factory reset - then downloaded AVG from playstore..... COOEE MS Launcher still there.
    Uninstall unsuccessful :-(
    AVG does offer me the option of ignoring it!!

I find next to nothing about this when googling.

Sector

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Launcher" is in the name, you sure its not the system launcher? If it is and you get rid of it you wont be able to use the phone at all.

Personally I put very little stock in Android AV.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

Solomafioso
    I downloaded Malwarebytes, ran it... and it found zero problems.
    What!! :confused:
    So which is right... AVG or Malwarebytes!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

AVG and the like are all useless apps for the most part. The word Launcher most likely indicates that it is the system launcher itself for the phone.

As long as you download your apps from the Play Store and not dodgy devs, you have no real need for AVG.

Advertisement