Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 Passat handbrake

Options
  • 15-07-2014 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All

My handreak seems to have stopped working on my car, has been giving trouble over the months been difficult to put on and take off the handbreak but this morning the button is pure soft and not action on it at all! The P Light is on constantly too
    Please advise whats the best course of action,,, how much will this cost to fix or replace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The best course of action would be to take it to a garage and get it diagnosed. The most common issue with them is the button which is very cheap to replace.

Is the parking brake on or off at the moment?

Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 New House 2014

Thanks for the response.. the parking break is off at the moment so cant put the handbreak on, im working in KK but from tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't use the handbrake again until you get it looked at would be my first bit of advice - you don't want to end up stranded somewhere! 2nd step, get it scanned to read the fault codes.

It could be the switch or the callipers would be my first thought (both common enough issues on these cars). I had a 06 model myself previously where the right-rear calliper started acting up and like you I was getting warning lights, and it started reusing to disengage without a lot of effort. In the end I just put a bit of black tape over the switch to stop myself from instinctively pressing it until I got it sorted.

New calliper fitted by George Dalton just outside Portlaoise - he's also a member on this forum and is highly recommend by myself and others for VW stuff. Cost a few hundred as I recall but a lot cheaper than a main dealer and no issues since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 New House 2014

Thanks a million for that. Im going to a VW dealer here in the morning to get it looked at and see what the issue is, hopefully its only something small like the button or calliper. I'll keep George in mind for sure once they get back to me!
    Thanks again for the response

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭billbond4

I had to get left caliper done last year and this year had to get right one done, cost about 400 each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

VW will charge you €70 just to do a diagnostic scan. Go to an independent it will be much cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

George did the switch on my 07 and it was very cheap. I'd second what kaiser says about some black tape over the switch just in case it engages then won't disengage.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

The switch is an issue on these cars, I had similar symptoms to you, I replaced the push switch with a cheapy on ebay, and has been grand since, Prob cost me less than 20 quid

Advertisement