Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autism and restraint.

Options
  • 15-07-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hi, I saw a video on the internet of a pair of parents in america who seem to deal with self injurious behaviour by physically restraining their autistic child. Now, I understand that there might be emergency situations where the child might have to be briefly restrained to prevent them from getting into danger, or where the behaviour might arise suddenly and there might not be time to try any strategies the parents might use to help their child to calm and cope, and also that some people benefit from physical pressure, but is that not why there are such things as weighted blankets, massage for the arm and neck muscles, etc, and should strategies like that be the first method of dealing with behaviours?

I do not think that restraining a child by lying down on them is an appropriate method of dealing with behaviours, on a normal day to day basis. Also,I find it concerning that the parents posted a video of the 'meltdown' and their restraining the child,on the internet.I think this is unfair and denies the child their dignity and privacy.

Opinions please?

Advertisement