Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted my OS - How I recovered (HTC One M7)

Options
  • 15-07-2014 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just thought I'd give an insight into the mess I made yesterday, and the steps I took to fix it...

I decided to stick a GPE ROM onto my M7, installed it in the usual manner but I got stuck in a boot loop. Checked with some guides, they all suggested to wipe dalvik as first suggestion, so I did. No joy, so I wiped again, but must have selected too many options as all of a sudden TWRP reported to me that I had no OS installed. :o I tried to reboot, I had access to recovery & fastboot but nothing else.

I tried to sideload a ROM via ADB, but apparently if you delete your OS ADB won't work, which proved problematic for me. As I had access to fastboot I decided to attempt to install an RUU.zip, which looked for a moment like it might work, but alas that was in vain. So I was left with a lovely shiny piece of metal.

However, when I finished work I picked up a USB OTG cable (this guy: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-tech-on-the-go-micro-usb-to-female-usb-n36qg) in the local Maplin. Steep price (€20) but it let me take the ROMs I knew to work, stick them onto a USB drive and then plug the USB into phone using the OTG cable. Once I did that, I was able to mount the OTG via TWRP and install a new ROM from there. Which worked! :D

Ultimately I spent about half of the day thinking I had bricked my phone (which had only just come back from repair shop anyway), but a little wire fixed it.

Hope this post helps others who may have encountered similar issues, as it took me quite some time to find the help I needed...

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Your link was broken - the bracket at the end was added to the URL. Fixed it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

FYI, it's damn near impossible to brick modern day Android phones. ADB / fastboot will still work in recovery and bootloader mode and can be a very powerful tool. 95% of the time, boot loops occur because of bad ZIP's being flash, non full wipe of data / cache / media after going from stock to AOSP or incorrect ROM / Gapps. The OTG cables are quite handy but when not available, a couple of commands to know are:

adb devices
    adb reboot rebootloader
    adb push path/to/filename.zip /sdcard/0/
    adb sideload path/to/filename.zip

fastboot devices
    fastboot oem unlock
    fastboot erase recovery
    fastboot flash recovery path/to/recovery.img

CWM Recoveries - https://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager
    TWRP Recoveries - http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
    CyanogenMod - https://download.cyanogenmod.org/
    Latest Gapps - http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps
    ADB Tools (adb / fastboot straight from default cmd prompt) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

Well posted. Good to keep a record of these.
    I've done a conversion to GPE on mine too, and really like it.
    When I attempted to transfer the RUU the first time, I got an error and sweated a bit since I knew I'd likely already lost the installed OS. I read the message carefully though and realised it was saying to just repeat the command again.

Seemingly that first failure is very common, and the RUU went through the second time for me without any problem. Does that sound like what you saw?
    The command was this one "fastboot flash zip ~/Downloads/RUU-HTC_One_GE-4.4-3.58.1700.5_Rooted.zip"

I have phone service problems though (had them before the change too though, and may be because it was an O2 UK phone).
    Weirdly it only affects voice, and I still have full data service even when I can't make or receive calls. - LTE speeds of up to 30Mb in places, and working H+,H,3G,EDGE,GPRS too.

My SIM works properly in any phone that doesn't have 4G, and any other SIM works in my HTC One. I've had the SIM replaced, and been on to 5 Vodafone agents in the last two weeks each of whom assured me the problem was in their network and was now solved. :-(

Any chance your M7 was a Vodafone Ireland issued one and you made a backup before you flashed it?
    I'm looking for a copy of a vodafone /system/build.prop for reference, or at least the version number of a working radio from a fastboot screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

niallb wrote: »
    Any chance your M7 was a Vodafone Ireland issued one and you made a backup before you flashed it?
    I'm looking for a copy of a vodafone /system/build.prop for reference, or at least the version number of a working radio from a fastboot screen.
    Vodafone: yes.
    Backup: no. :(

Thanks for replying. Anything familiar with the fastboot flash error?

If you restart and go into fastboot for a moment, can you post up the version number you have there for your radio?
    I'm on
    CID-VODAP019 (for now!)
    HBOOT-1.54.0000
    RADIO-4T.27.3218.09
    OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909

At the moment, I don't get an option for LTE/WCDMA/2G in my options, and I think if I did I'd be back working again.

• Advertisement

If anyone with a working HTC One on Vodafone 4G can post up their radio version for comparison I'd be grateful.
    If you don't want to fastboot, you can find it in
    Settings -> About Phone -> Baseband version

Sorry for leeching on to your thread! I'll open a fresh one if there's no response here in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

@OP - You didn't need a USB otg cable, could have just ran the Ruu via the PC while the phone was in fast boot mode....

Is the boot loader unlocked via HTC site?

Fieldog wrote: »
    @OP - You didn't need a USB otg cable, could have just ran the Ruu via the PC while the phone was in fast boot mode....

Is the boot loader unlocked via HTC site?

Alas I did, as the RUU would not run because the phone wasn't being picked up correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

dulpit wrote: »
    Alas I did, as the RUU would not run because the phone wasn't being picked up correctly.

That is so strange, did you have all HTC drivers installed from their website?

I've had some weird issues like that with HTC's in the past, once my laptop (win7 64) stopped picking up my Wildfire for no good reason, ended up having to reinstall windows and then it worked, they can be finicky at the best of times...

Fieldog wrote: »
    That is so strange, did you have all HTC drivers installed from their website?

I've had some weird issues like that with HTC's in the past, once my laptop (win7 64) stopped picking up my Wildfire for no good reason, ended up having to reinstall windows and then it worked, they can be finicky at the best of times...

Ya, I had mucked about with it too much I'd say, all of a sudden it was bang - no OS. Worrying, but at least it worked out in the end...

• Advertisement
Advertisement