Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caught a smelly salmon. is it

Options
  • 15-07-2014 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Have caught some lovely salmon in my time but yesterday I caught one about 9lb but when caught it, it was bit smelly as soon as I lifted it out of the water. I was going to put it back seeing as it was a small bit redish at the tail but seeing as I've spent quite a lot this year on fishing, I thought I'd take this one home with me so stuck tag on it and home it went.

I cut it up a few hours later and there was a stench still from it. I filleted it an stuck it all in the freezer but I'm wondering will it be OK to eat for me and the family or will I just give it to the neibours cat.

Bit disappointed in myself now for not throwing it back it but hindsight is a great thing as the aul saying goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Not an expert on fish diseases but try a search on tinternet with the symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Sounds diseased (with what I don't know) but I wouldn't eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

jack01986 wrote: »
    Sounds diseased (with what I don't know) but I wouldn't eat it.

:( looks like its going for the bin then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

if it was a small bit reddish its probably a spent salmon and definitely wouldn't be good to eat as the fish has not eaten in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Any pics?

• Advertisement

if it was a small bit reddish its probably a spent salmon and definitely wouldn't be good to eat as the fish has not eaten in a while.

There was eggs in it so can't see it being spent. I was thinking maybe it was to do with the hot weather making the water warm.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Any pics?

Here's an attachment.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Any pics?

Here's an attachment, don't think last one worked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bad smell is not good - for any meat/fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

It doesn't look the cleanest of specimens. There is a lot of descaling and the red colour doesn't look like the "colouring" you would normally see due to being in the river. The descaling could be due to netting or handling but looks pretty severe.

It looks too bright red and inflamed. Some of that could be blood from the mouth its not a great picture. Possibly early stage UDN? I wouldn't fancy eating it myself but IFI might be interested. We sent some infected Roach to them a while back and they confirmed Rhabdovirus.

• Advertisement

Bio Mech wrote: »
    It doesn't look the cleanest of specimens. There is a lot of descaling and the red colour doesn't look like the "colouring" you would normally see due to being in the river. The descaling could be due to netting or handling but looks pretty severe.

It looks too bright red and inflamed. Some of that could be blood from the mouth its not a great picture. Possibly early stage UDN? I wouldn't fancy eating it myself but IFI might be interested. We sent some infected Roach to them a while back and they confirmed Rhabdovirus.

The red at the tail end isn't blood, it's the colour of the fish. I thought that was net marks on her as well but wasn't to sure. I'm now wondering was this tangled in a net for some length of time which has deteriorated the fish but its managed to release itself and then I catch it some time after. If so, I'm really disappointed in myself for not putting her back!!!

What is udn? Is there a fee for getting this fish tested by the ifi?

newbie2013 wrote: »
    The red at the tail end isn't blood, it's the colour of the fish. I thought that was net marks on her as well but wasn't to sure. I'm now wondering was this tangled in a net for some length of time which has deteriorated the fish but its managed to release itself and then I catch it some time after. If so, I'm really disappointed in myself for not putting her back!!!

What is udn? Is there a fee for getting this fish tested by the ifi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulcerative_dermal_necrosis

I am not saying it certainly is but I have seen early stage UDN fish that look similar and they do smell due to the associated fungal overgrowth.

It could be a lot of things and there are many dermal infections that would cause descaling, smell and reddening. Either way that fish doesn't look the healthiest. It could just be secondary surface infections and an unhealthy fish.

There should be no fee from IFI. Their biologists should be able to tell you what it is.

I would be uncomfortable eating it myself. Its possibly not an acute health hazard but I would probably go for the beef if I had an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Hi Newbie, what river was this from? Have you informed IFI yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I'd send a pic to fisheries board and see if they can explain it. They're usually helpful.
    Could be near it's death aswell of exhaustion

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    Hi Newbie, what river was this from? Have you informed IFI yet?

Don't think its the river because a friend caught 2 grilse earlier that where really healthy. Don't want to post the river and cause concern tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

i would have thought that any concern was wholly justified and worth investigating forthwith. What did you catch him on? What method? I am surprised a diseased fish was in the mood for taking a bait/fly etc.

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    i would have thought that any concern was wholly justified and worth investigating forthwith. What did you catch him on? What method? I am surprised a diseased fish was in the mood for taking a bait/fly etc.

Because they don't feed in freshwater they can often snap at a bait as a defensive response. Like if you approach a sick/injured cat or dog they can lash out. I have caught some fish in awful condition over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I have seen an caught plenty fish that are red like that , from my understanding it's just from lying on the bottom of the river If it's a diesease then half the fish in the blackwater have it as they are all in the river awile now

As for the smell im not sure you should be able to tell from the colour of the fillet if there is anything going on, I have seen a lot redder fish being taken and still cut pink

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Feed it to the mother in law.

popsy09 wrote: »
    I have seen an caught plenty fish that are red like that , from my understanding it's just from lying on the bottom of the river If it's a diesease then half the fish in the blackwater have it as they are all in the river awile now

As for the smell im not sure you should be able to tell from the colour of the fillet if there is anything going on, I have seen a lot redder fish being taken and still cut pink

Still pink inside. Itsvall freezes up, well most of it anyway because my bro in law helped himself to some when I wasn't in, I'll just wait on reports from him how it tasted lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Still pink inside. Itsvall freezes up, well most of it anyway because my bro in law helped himself to some when I wasn't in, I'll just wait on reports from him how it tasted lol

I wouldn't be too worried being honest I know it's not ideal killing a fish that's a bit coloured but with all the low water I have seen a few taken by anglers that would normally throw them back

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

http://www.daff.gov.au/animal-plant-health/aquatic/aquavetplan/furunculosis

If its something like this, it should be reported.....and it does look pretty gross. Wouldn't eat it.

popsy09 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried being honest I know it's not ideal killing a fish that's a bit coloured but with all the low water I have seen a few taken by anglers that would normally throw them back

It doesn't look like normal colouration to me. Its too bright of a red colour. looks inflamed to me.

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    http://www.daff.gov.au/animal-plant-health/aquatic/aquavetplan/furunculosis

If its something like this, it should be reported.....and it does look pretty gross. Wouldn't eat it.

Could be that, could be one of a dozen or more other bacteria, fungi or viruses too. You would need to culture it really to see. Agree I would report it myself out of interest if nothing else.

Could be one sickly immuno-compromised fish or could be an outbreak.

Advertisement