Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question from a newbie.

Options
  • 14-07-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

So I have thought about turning this into a hobby of mine for the foreseeable future, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips for a beginner?

My ultimate dream is to take a sub €1000 car (i.e. BMW, Subaru), rebuild it and take it to the Nordschleife (a 20km racetrack in Germany, one of the most notorious tracks in the world) and do a couple of laps. I'd also like to do a few trackdays in Ireland as well.

But for now, the plan is just to do up a car, and get an idea of the tasks involved.

So could you impart some of your wisdom on me and maybe reccommend a car as well? Please and thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

realistic budget - €10k.

money just goes on cars. you buy a €1k car and want to take it across Europe, you're going to want to renew a hell of a lot of stuff unless you're willing to leave it behind if things go wrong.

then there's ferrys, fuel, accommodation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Time. Finances. Know what one is doing. Multiple donor vehicles.

Have a look at some of the threads in this forum. Just to give you an example, I'm doing something very similar myself (building from scratch and plan to drive round Europe in it) so far it's been an absolute nightmare with all the setbacks. The parts alone I'll have to buy will far exceed the purchase price of the car....

My advice: start with something nice and simple with not much wrong, do it up then go from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

dgt wrote: »
    My advice: start with something nice and simple with not much wrong, do it up then go from there :)

So would you rank it as
    1. Good electrics and engine.
    2. Good drivetrain.
    3. Good suspension and brakes.
    4. Good body.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Just buy something in the rally section of done deal, a whole car will be a lot less than the sum of the parts ,never mind labour.

4k for this. http://cars.donedeal.ie/rallycars-for-sale/206-gti-track-car/7163458

30584354.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Having partially gone down this road (I'm a long way from finished), don't buy one car, buy a second one. I can't put a value on the ability to pop over to the donor to get your hands on whatever needs replacing. The one thing that will delay a project is waiting on parts

• Advertisement
Advertisement