Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is self-employment lonely?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Do those of you who have started your own business ever feel lonely during the workday? My personality is such that I think I was born to work for myself, but the one thing I'd miss about employment being around people all day - the craic in the office and at lunch...

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Yeah thats a common feeling alright, even when you get staff it doesnt actually change much as there is a fine line between hanging out with the boss and it becoming a work lunch.

Possibly try shared office space or make sure that you make lunch appointments to network everyday.

Then again there's a huge amount of positive things that out weight the negatives of self employment. As the the saying goes, it can be lonely at the top but the view is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Found it!1 I knew I read something about business and the loneliness of the long distance runner!! http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-tough-lonely-and-very-risky-%E2%80%93-welcome-to-life-as-an-entrepreneur-443964-May2012/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Without a doubt it can be. Having started out myself out of a room at home I can tell you first hand that it can drive you up the walls. As per Ronan's advice above look to get some shared office space if you go down that route, it will be the best thing you ever do. Just being able to talk to others about business and network with others in the same situation is invaluable, even just a bit of general chat, did ya see the match last night etc. There's also a sort of community feeling about the place and you don't feel so isolated, these people are going through the same things you are. Other people around you, friends, family etc aren't in the same situation so when you talk to them they don't know what its like, they will offer support but they won't understand or can't relate. When times got tough for me they would say, would you not consider going back to a 9-5? Where as people in the same situation will offer advice or at least you can discuss things with them and look at options and help you see the positives.

One of the points made above was even with staff you have the line between staff and boss which is very true but the difference I would see there is that you have a company, you have the Christmas party, the odd event during the year etc. Being self employed and on your own you lose out on all of that, there's no company Christmas party when its just you. You can't turn around on a Friday and say who wants to go for a pint after work? You also have the line between work and personal life and need to keep that under control. When its your business its very hard to just switch off from it at 6pm and walk out the door like everyone else thats employed and does their normal days work. But you have to try and find the balance and call it a day so you have time for yourself or else you just get even more isolated.

Its a tough slog and by no means easy but as with everything there is always the positives too. For me they outweigh the negatives so it works for me even though it can be a lonely road. I have shared office space and its the best thing I ever did, I also do some contract work with a company which means I am in with them some days now and then and have all the social aspect of their company. At the end of the day if the social aspect is whats putting you off then maybe its not what you deep down really want, for me I didnt even think about that it was more of a sacrifice that was part of the business and you find ways around it like everything else to reach your goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,745 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There may be some small business networking events in your area. Go to them. Partly to look for leads, and partly just to talk to other business people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Definitely is very different I used to be a runner so maybe thats why I don't mind it so much! As has been suggested above try get involved with local organisations you might even come across unofficial meet ups that occur (normally just an excuse for a drink and to get away from things for a bit!).

Its tough to get going but when things are going well its the best experience you will have in your working life as you know that success is purely down to you and your no longer just another random cog making someone else a ton of money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I far prefer it tbh

Advertisement