Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm motion sensors not working.

Options
  • 14-07-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

The small red motion light on the sensors are not working and i cant set the alarm.
    First time this has happened and there has been no phisical damage to any of the system.
    Is there a re set option of fixing this on the alarm board or will i just give the electrician a call to sort it.
    Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Better off asking the lads over on the Security forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1366.

No light would indicate no power to the sensor or it could just be the sensor has died. They'll advise you better.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Moved from electrical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The small red motion light on the sensors are not working and i cant set the alarm.
    First time this has happened and there has been no phisical damage to any of the system.
    Is there a re set option of fixing this on the alarm board or will i just give the electrician a call to sort it.
    Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

What system have you got and when you try set the alarm what does it display?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Hey fred.
    What comes up on the screen:

Aux fuze fault
    Z7 PIR downstairs
    Z8 PIR upstairs.

Dont know the name of the system but the alarm board i have i would see regularly in different houses. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The fuse has blown that powers the beams inside the panel. Could be a damaged cable going to one of the beams or just blew on its own accord.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice fred. Ill give the electrician a call tmrw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Thanks for the advice fred. Ill give the electrician a call tmrw.

You had better make sure he has a PSA licence before he goes near it otherwise you and he are breaking the law.
    You might be better off getting onto an alarm company.

Hey kub, im in construction a long time(too long:)), the electrician i use
    is a 1st class tradesman with all the necessary paperwork.
    But good advice to someone who may not realise the new laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I am not at all doubting the guys capabilities, don't get me wrong, it is just annoying as I am sure you can appreciate that installers like us have to pay big money for PSA licences for our livelihoods, while guys are out there unknowingly breaking the rules, but I am blaming PSA for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

kub wrote: »
    I am not at all doubting the guys capabilities, don't get me wrong, it is just annoying as I am sure you can appreciate that installers like us have to pay big money for PSA licences for our livelihoods, while guys are out there unknowingly breaking the rules, but I am blaming PSA for this.

It's a joke. Having a PSA license doesn't make anyone a better installer. You could pay for the license and put a single contact and 4 motion detectors on a house and it's perfectly acceptable. The PSA is a huge money making racket. The bigger your company income the more the license costs.

But yeah OP that's the country we live in and if they somehow find out the date and time your buddy is planning on changing that fuse... Your also obliged to report him and provide any paper trails to them. If you don't pay him to change the fuse it's perfectly legal.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »

Sound kub. Anything electrical/wiring i wont touch and i would never compromise on the quality/rules when it comes to the same.
    I do appreciate where you are at with the PSA licences.
    Evolution1 wrote: »
    It's a joke. Having a PSA license doesn't make anyone a better installer. You could pay for the license and put a single contact and 4 motion detectors on a house and it's perfectly acceptable. The PSA is a huge money making racket. The bigger your company income the more the license costs.

But yeah OP that's the country we live in and if they somehow find out the date and time your buddy is planning on changing that fuse... Your also obliged to report him and provide any paper trails to them. If you don't pay him to change the fuse it's perfectly legal.

Evolution, like kub you are in a similar situation. There are so many new laws and rules coming in in all aspects of construction,some good, and many not good, not thought through enough. More costs/paperwork/headaches.

About the alarm,yesterday morning the sensor lights came on again and the alarm is working fine now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

About the alarm,yesterday morning the sensor lights came on again and the alarm is working fine now :confused:

Sounds like an issue with the cable.
    Can you check for loose connections in the control panel and the PIR.
    Safety first, turn off mains before opening control panel.

Advertisement