Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begin Again

Options
  • 14-07-2014 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

I seen it on Friday. Loved it. The music was real good, the story was sweet, Keira Knightly and Mark Ruffalo are good leads, and damn can Knightly sing. Even James Cordon didn't annoy me like he usually does. Great movie so it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I enjoyed it but could not help but feel that it was once, with the characters reversed in a bigger city, with a bigger budget. And just not as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I saw at the weekend and I loved it. I know its John carney and most critics are calling it "Twice", which is fair enough, but I thought it was a lot better than Once. Better acting, more humour, plus New York is New York and not dreary dublin. Mark Ruffalo is great, as he always is, and Keira Knightley is decent enough too, everybody is good even James Cordon and the dude from Maroon 5. I know its only July but film of the year for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

shalalala wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but could not help but feel that it was once, with the characters reversed in a bigger city, with a bigger budget. And just not as good.

I always thought apart from the Soundtrack, Once was overhyped. It's a fine film but no classic. I thought Begin Again is a better film but it has its flaws.

Ruffalo and Knightley were great, Knightley needed something like this after a few let downs. The songs from Gregg Alexander, (check out the under rated lost classic Maybe you been braishwashed too, from New Radicals, Alexander's former band and only album which is a power pop classic) arent' nowhere near as good as the once songs but they ain't as bad as many critics have made out. I liked the ending to the film too
    Knightley ends up alone and doesn't have a romance with Ruffalo's character which many other films would have gone for
    and the reason why Ruffalo's character is the way he is
    that his wife had an affair with another man and was ready to leave him
    which was a nice twist.

My biggest problem with the film is the waste of a talented back up cast, Catherine Keener is completely wasted in thankless role as Ruffalo's estranged wife, they could have done many great things with her but they totally dropped the ball on it. Hailee Steinfeld and James Corden do as good as what they are given with. Nice Cameo's from Mos Def and Cee-lo Green. Adam Levine does okay.

No classic, Carney's best film still for me is the underrated On the Edge with Cillian Murphy. Hope the film does good business for Carney.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I didn't know Carney had an issue working with Knightley just seen that now, labelled her "supermodel" moaned about her entourage but then backtracked apologised, anyone know more about their issue?

Advertisement