Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of microphone for live recording?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

If I was recording bands with a professional camara,what mic would I need.As in a mic that would clip to the camara or person,but not the typical mic that the performer would hold?
    Do you have any idea?
    And if so,how much would it cost?
    Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Is it loud? Does the camera have XLR (Canon) mic inputs?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Striving470

TroutMask wrote: »
    Is it loud? Does the camera have XLR (Canon) mic inputs?

It's a panasonic fz200,the sound is ok,but I'd like it to be better.
    Yeah it has a socket for mic input.

Heh - not an XLR then, might limit your choices for external mics. Also, whether the music is loud or not will be an issue. If it's really loud, then the mic electronics (the buffer amps servicing the electret mic elements) can distort 'in the mic' as it were. Might be better asking in Cameras or on a forum dedicated to this model and/or other Panasonic cameras. I like Panas a lot - just not sure how they (or their mic accessories) handle high SPLs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

why not record the audio separately during the recording using a normal performance mic and then remove the old audio and add in the new during editing?

maccored wrote: »
    why not record the audio separately during the recording using a normal performance mic and then remove the old audio and add in the new during editing?

This can be quite effective so long as you have a recorder that will stamp timecode on the audio. Otherwise sync and drift issues will manifest themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

maccored wrote: »

I've done this quite a bit.
    It's really the only way to do it if you want the sound to be anyway decent.
    Camera mics are not going to give you a professional sounding result for anything other than acoustic acts, and even that's not guaranteed.

Multitrack off the desk, mix, sync to video using iMovie or FCP or the like.
    As TroutMask said, syncing can be a pain in the hoop, but if there's drums involved, using the snare as a visual reference works well.

thanks fitz, good advice! I'm not a video guy yet have done a lot of location tracking for vid peeps. There are workarounds for long files, cutting and syncing the audio to a video event as you describe works quite well. Gets a bit more problematic if you're using the camera sound as well. Some cameras can have surprisingly good sound, others are pants. Since Panasonic make a lot of capsules for mid-level 'prosumer-type' microphones, so one could get lucky?? :) The portable Sony recorders are very good, seem to be better than Zooms (these can be highly problematic). The SPLs of the content is a big issue, many mics/recorders do not have the headroom for the dB-laden act. So what kind of music OP? Renaissance duets? Blackened Crust Metal?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

I should clarify, I misread maccored's post....
    I record using the stage mics...I use a Presonus Studiolive for FOH mixing, so can just hook up a laptop and record multitrack from the desk.
    I also might stick up some extra mics that won't necessarily go out to the speakers, like an acoustic guitar mic mounted on the singers mic stand, or overheads. These might not be needed in the FOH mix, and they may even be problematic for that purpose (potential feedback issues), but can really help get a nice mix afterwards.

I wouldn't bother with live recording unless you can do something similar, either with a desk that doubles as an interface, like the Studiolive, or using splitters to give you inputs to a dedicated recording rig, which I've also done.

The new Allen and Heath QU-16 looks the absolute job...you can just plug in a USB drive into the desk and record multitrack direct to it, no computer required.
    Pricey mind you.

Advertisement