Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time car and insurance costs?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi! I'm almost a 22 year old guy. I'm planning on getting a car in the next few weeks.
    I've done a few lessons and looked at cars/insurance quote's.
    At first I was looking at corsa's/polo's/fiesta's/ka's. I did my lessons in a ka and I hated driving it. Then I drove a 1.25 fiesta and found it very light on the road. Didn't like the feel of it either.
    Then I was talking to my mothers friend and she said her daughter had the same problem when she drove 1.0l cars and she then drove a 1.4 Astra and she liked it. I got a chance then to drive a 1.4 Astra and I liked the feel of if. I just felt it was more steady on the road and I felt safer/more comforrable driving it.
    I looked for quotes of a good few companies and I actually got better quotes for 1.4 Astra's/focus/etc.
    So why do people always say look for a 1.25l fiesta or a 1.0 Micra?

Comments

When you ring around for insurance ask to put your parents on as named drivers (if they haven't made a claim or have lots of points) knocked €300 off my premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

junction12 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm almost a 22 year old guy. I'm planning on getting a car in the next few weeks.
    I've done a few lessons and looked at cars/insurance quote's.
    At first I was looking at corsa's/polo's/fiesta's/ka's. I did my lessons in a ka and I hated driving it. Then I drove a 1.25 fiesta and found it very light on the road. Didn't like the feel of it either.
    Then I was talking to my mothers friend and she said her daughter had the same problem when she drove 1.0l cars and she then drove a 1.4 Astra and she liked it. I got a chance then to drive a 1.4 Astra and I liked the feel of if. I just felt it was more steady on the road and I felt safer/more comforrable driving it.
    I looked for quotes of a good few companies and I actually got better quotes for 1.4 Astra's/focus/etc.
    So why do people always say look for a 1.25l fiesta or a 1.0 Micra?

Astra is not a bad car. A man would lose a few inches off his penis driving a small car like a Micra, KA etc.

If you live in rural Ireland putting down Farm Labourer as your occupation will knock a few quid off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Chris___ wrote: »
    If you live in rural Ireland putting down Farm Labourer as your occupation will knock a few quid off too.

Unless you are a Farm Labourer do not do this. The OP is starting his motoring career and you are asking him to misrepresent on his first insurance policy. Don't give me any of that 'they will never know' malarkey either

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭junction12

Well actually I live on a farm and do the odd bit of work on the farm so technically. I wouldn't be lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

junction12 wrote: »
    Well actually I live on a farm and do the odd bit of work on the farm so technically. I wouldn't be lying.
    Well, if it brings the premium down, burst on. Remember, if ANYTHING affects what an insurer uses to calculate the premium, it is important to them. Tell lies and they will catch you out when you need them most

• Advertisement
Advertisement