Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New 2006 Mondeo - is 150,000 miles too much?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, I'm looking at two Mondeos 2 litre diesels at the moment, one has 150,000 miles and a price of €2,300 and the other has 100,000 miles and would cost €3,200. Both look in pretty good condition and the engines sounded ok when test-driven, but both had a bit of black smoke when accelerating in second. For the same money I could also get a 1.7 petrol engine with about 80,000 miles, but I'd prefer a diesel for my long distance journeys.

Whichever one I choose I'll get a full check-up with a mechanic, but I'm deciding which to go for. My main concern would be about the wear on the diesel engines, and whether 150k or even 100k miles is too much.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Totally boils down to current condition of both and their previous maintenance history. The 150k mile one could be the better buy depending on how it was maintained, at that mileage it could have had a bit of money spent on it recently whereas the lower mileage one might have a few expensive repairs/maintenance around the corner. Look for receipts or evidence of previous work done on both.

Advertisement