Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus IS220D EGR Cleaning

Options
  • 14-07-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had problems with my 2008 Lexus IS220D a couple of months ago and had to get the whole system flushed. I'm trying to avoid this exact problem again and I want to clean out the EGR valve every 6000miles or so which I'm approaching now.

I just have a few questions if anyone could help out.
    1. Is the EGR valve in this model mechanical or electrical, I'm assuming mechanical as I don't think there is any connections beside it?
    2. If it's mechanical, do I just loosen the 4 bolts with a socket set to remove, tape up and cover the open parts to the engine?
    3. Do I leave the EGR valve to soak overnight in carb cleaner and clean out with a soft cloth to avoid damage. Tighten nuts back up and start her up?
    Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

First of all the egr valve is electrically operated but it's a mechanical valve if that makes sense, second of all cleaning the valve will only prevent the valve from sticking but would not stop the build up of carbon in the intake, exhaust system,
    I have probably worked on 50-100 with this problem on the IS220d, some I have done twice and three times over 200,000km. Having the latest software cal in the engine ecu and making sure your car is not consuming oil will have a better effect of stopping this happening again, was it done by a Lexus dealer? If so they probably put in the latest software, also IMO driving styles differ per owner and I have had customers with 250k plus that never had an issue because they drive hard and lots of motorway journeys with not using 6th gear much

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    First of all the egr valve is electrically operated but it's a mechanical valve if that makes sense, second of all cleaning the valve will only prevent the valve from sticking but would not stop the build up of carbon in the intake, exhaust system,
    I have probably worked on 50-100 with this problem on the IS220d, some I have done twice and three times over 200,000km. Having the latest software cal in the engine ecu and making sure your car is not consuming oil will have a better effect of stopping this happening again, was it done by a Lexus dealer? If so they probably put in the latest software, also IMO driving styles differ per owner and I have had customers with 250k plus that never had an issue because they drive hard and lots of motorway journeys with not using 6th gear much

Hi Padraic,

Thanks for your reply. I bought the car second hand and it had high mileage on it 270k. The car went into limp mode just before I was about to get it serviceed at 284k and I brought the car to a Lexus delaer - Fitzpatricks in Kildare. I'm assuming the software was updated as the whole intake system and EGR valve was cleaned out costing around 1k. The problem actually happened after I drove to Galway from Dublin, I had her on cruise in 6th gear most of the way on 125km/h and was parked up for 4days when I was down there.

I would drive the car pretty hard and I'm on the motorway everyday. Would you reccomend not using 6th gear at all then and always keeping it in 5th gear?

Also, one of the main causes of the build up of carbon would be if the car is the car burning oil? What's the best remedy for this, check the oil level often and service every 15k?

Cheers,

Advertisement