Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bamboo

Options
  • 14-07-2014 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey guys ,just looking for suggestions on what to put in between my golden bamboo,i have seen red robin on a few friends gardens which looks very well between them,its a clump forming bamboo and they are kinda semi shade.any suggestions on what to put in between them,cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

I have the same bamboo. It will probably spread out and cover the whole fence given time. You will have to just cut the shoots when they come up to keep it in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

my father has the same distance between them and the red robin looks great,i will not be letting it get that big ,theres plenty room to put in a shrub just not sure what one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

ok, i would consider a japanese maple. i have some growing with bamboos and they look great together.

one like this

http://www.worldplants.com/reddrag1.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Japanese maple is a lovely suggestion, i'd go with plants from the same region as the bamboo as well. Camellia would give good contrast with glossy green leaves. The japanese quince (Chaenomeles speciosa, Chaenomeles japonica) would be a good contrast as well with unusual flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Cotinus coggygria http://www.jparkers.co.uk/csp/parkers/products/large/0001930.jpg would contrast nicely but it can be slow-growing and is deciduous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

Thanks guys i think ill keep the same theme so to speak and go with some japanese acers/maples...i love the red gragon variety.on a side note i have a japanese acer in a small pot which i re potted into a larger pot about 3 weeks ago with some ericaneous compost and its starting to loose all its leaves.has repotting it killed it?did the repotting shock it?it was in non ericaneous compost so i taught i was doing it a favour.

Advertisement