Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novel for 5th Class

Options
  • 14-07-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Dear All

I am writing to enquire about buying some novels for my class.

I am teaching 5th class and I am currently looking for a good novel that would suit boys and girls (age 10-12).

I was wondering if there are any new exciting novels out there that would suit both boys and girls and that have quite a bit of adventure and humour maybe.

Could anyone recommend any books that their son or daughter might have covered in school and that they thoroughly enjoyed.

Only two I am considering so far
    - Wonder by R.J. Palacio (seems to be by new - anyone read it)
    - Eoin Colfer (Benny and Omar or Benny and babe - few years old but might suit boys too)

Would really welcome any reviews or other recommendations

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I always recommend the same book in these threads :)

Black Harvest by Ann Pilling. It was re-released a couple of years back as a 'Collins modern Classic'.

41ltlCXs4OL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I was 9 when I read it (borrowed it from the mobile library :)) and found it scary and exciting, I couldn't put it down.
    The rugged west coast of Ireland seems like the perfect place for a holiday. Then everything starts to go wrong. Colin is aware of an awful smell coming off the land, a smell of death and decay…

Colin and Prill were looking forward to a holiday of fun and adventure in Ireland. It would have been perfect if only they hadn’t had to drag along their “odd” cousin Oliver. But Oliver, it turns out, isn’t their biggest problem.
    Almost from the moment they arrive, Colin feels sick from an awful smell, so powerful and horrible that it seems to be rising from the land of the dead. At the same time, Prill is visited by a strange creature creeping into her dreams. Who is she, and what does she want?
    Only Oliver seems untouched by the danger. As the hot summer days continue, their terror mounts and their baby sister becomes critically ill. Oliver links the present horror with the terrible famine in Ireland of the 1840s – and the strange occupant of the nearby caravan, whose land was lost then through eviction – and he must bring about the reconciliation to save himself and his cousins

I don't think it would be too scary for kids aged 10-11. Mind you, could be a moot point as I'm finding it difficult to find it in any bricks and mortar stores :o

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Makeahome1

Thanks very much for that recommendation.
    I will be covering The Famine in Term 2 so this is perfect as I had planned to do a novel around the theme of the famine... thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

Holes by Louis Sachar is great, and the movie is fabulous too.

A good one with a famine theme is Under The Hawthorn Tree by Marita Conlon McKenna. I read it to my daughter when she was in 5th and she loved it. But it's desperately sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 JackGM

Can't go wrong with Harry Potter. I was surprised with how few friends of my little brother have read it (around 6th class age). You can even use it to talk about the changes they made for the films (and why). Lord of the Rings can be a slog, but it's a classic adventure, a veritable feast for the imagination.
    Slightly easier to read are the Skulduggery Pleasant books (Good length, good humour, set in Ireland, lots of magic and a tad scary for kids), Holes by Louis Sachar is also very good. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH is a stellar book that we had read to us in 3rd class. Best of luck with the new class!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

JackGM wrote: »
    Lord of the Rings can be a slog, but it's a classic adventure, a veritable feast for the imagination.

I'd go with The Hobbit before LOTR, found it a much easier read at that age myself. Though Tolkien could still be tough for some kids to get though regardless.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I'd recommend Wilderness by Roddy Doyle. Its the best children's book I've read in a while. It mostly deals with young children and the separation from and reunion with their mother who escaped to Finland. Very heartfelt with a subtle feeling of adventure.

Hobbit is a great one too and the first Harry Potter of course.

Advertisement