Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for a place to leave keys for regular pick up in or near Christchurch Dublin?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum but it's the closest I can find - apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place :)

Does anyone have any ideas where I could leave a set of keys for an apartment in Christchurch, somewhere they could be picked up by tenants on a regular basis?

I'm renting my apartment out for short term lets from 2 to 6 or 7 nights at a time. A big problem is having to be there when people turn up as they could arrive at any time in the day or night. I'm looking for ideas/thoughts/suggestions for somewhere that's accessible (Christchurch / Aungier St / Georges St probably best) during the day and evening where I could leave the keys to be picked up by the tenants.

Maybe I could pay a fee to a hotel reception / cafe / bar or something like this - all ideas welcome and I will buy a beer or three for someone with a good reliable solution :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You would need to start knocking on doors I imagine OP. I would think a bar would be your best bet, given the hours issue. However, that means that anyone working in the place could just go and let themselves into your property. Do you know anyone living in the area? I presume it's in an apartment building - what about one of your existing neighbours? Could you install a keypad safe in the lobby or something and leave the keys in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm renting my apartment out for short term lets from 2 to 6 or 7 nights at a time
    Does your property have planning permission for holiday lettings? And what does your lease say?

Are there any suitable estate agents locally?

Is there a parcel motel near there? Send the phone number and the code to the tenants then.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

However, that means that anyone working in the place could just go and let themselves into your property. Do you know anyone living in the area? I presume it's in an apartment building - what about one of your existing neighbours? Could you install a keypad safe in the lobby or something and leave the keys in there?

A bar could be an option, I would just leave my name with the keys and not the address so no-one would know where the property is. I would probably need to know someone that works in a bar though which I don't unfortunately. Yes it is an apartment building but I don't know any of the neighbours well enough to ask, plus if they were ever away or not available for any reason then that would be a problem. Keypad safe not really an option as someone would need a key to get in to the lobby in the first place. Good effort though :)
    Victor wrote: »
    Does your property have planning permission for holiday lettings? And what does your lease say?

Are there any suitable estate agents locally?

I'm not sure if I need planning permission for holiday lettings, this hasn't arisen in any discussions I've had so far. Having said that I'm happy to be corrected. I own the apartment so no lease as such.

There are a couple of estate agents but I'd imagine the price they would charge would make it not worthwhile. It could be worth asking however just to see what they say.

Dónal wrote: »
    Is there a parcel motel near there? Send the phone number and the code to the tenants then.

Parcel motel haven't heard of such a thing before but I like the sound of it. If you know of any close to Dublin 8 or Georges / Camden / Aungier street then I'm all ears :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What about Burdock's? They are open night, noon and morning. And are on all maps. You could go in and ask them if they'd had them out for you for a fiver a pop (or something).

Alternatively post the keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Parcel motel haven't heard of such a thing before but I like the sound of it. If you know of any close to Dublin 8 or Georges / Camden / Aungier street then I'm all ears :)

http://www.parcelmotel.com/locations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Several times when I've rented of owners direct and so on I've had them post the keys over to me in advance. If it was to late they would arrange for the clean lady to meet me with them or pick them up in bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I own the apartment so no lease as such.

This is OT, but I hope you've advised your insurance company of your plans.

Parcel Motel probably won't work, because you don't have enough control over the arrival date/time of your package, and because it costs a lot to "send".

I know some cities have the concept of an urban bell-hop (it's an American word), which has arisen around AirBnB. Dunno if there are any in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm not sure if I need planning permission for holiday lettings, this hasn't arisen in any discussions I've had so far. Having said that I'm happy to be corrected. I own the apartment so no lease as such

You will have a lease with your management company, its virtually impossible to own an apartment in dublin, you probably have a 999 year lease. Our lease specifically prohibits short term letting and if your tenants have to go through common property to get to your apartment there are insurance issues for the management company too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

athtrasna wrote: »
    You will have a lease with your management company, its virtually impossible to own an apartment in dublin, you probably have a 999 year lease. Our lease specifically prohibits short term letting and if your tenants have to go through common property to get to your apartment there are insurance issues for the management company too.

That would be the norm in most apartments I think. But there 1,589 airbnb places in Dublin right now, and most appear to be apartments.....so I'm not sure that most airbnb 'hosts' pay much attention to what their leases say

That would be the norm in most apartments I think. But there 1,589 airbnb places in Dublin right now, and most appear to be apartments.....so I'm not sure that most airbnb 'hosts' pay much attention to what their leases say

Depends on how active their management companies are. If it was in our development, it would be noticed and acted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FTroydon

How about a small padlock style key safe that can be attached discretely to a railing or gate close to the apartment?
    I used air bnb a lot in Australia and a number of places left the keys for collection outside the building in one of these.
    Obviously the code should be changed between guests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum but it's the closest I can find - apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place :)

Does anyone have any ideas where I could leave a set of keys for an apartment in Christchurch, somewhere they could be picked up by tenants on a regular basis?

I'm renting my apartment out for short term lets from 2 to 6 or 7 nights at a time. A big problem is having to be there when people turn up as they could arrive at any time in the day or night. I'm looking for ideas/thoughts/suggestions for somewhere that's accessible (Christchurch / Aungier St / Georges St probably best) during the day and evening where I could leave the keys to be picked up by the tenants.

Maybe I could pay a fee to a hotel reception / cafe / bar or something like this - all ideas welcome and I will buy a beer or three for someone with a good reliable solution :)

Perhaps there is an apartment owner resident in the building that you would take on the job as a little nixer. Perhaps a retired chap that would take a small payment for each time he has to do the job or a once off annual payment. There might be a little more income to be got for him if he did the cleaning after each tenancy. Check with the Property manager as he might have an idea of someone who might be interested in doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

You could get a lock box for outside the apartment. It has a code and screws onto the wall. My parents have one, the brand is Master.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

mauzo! wrote: »
    You could get a lock box for outside the apartment. It has a code and screws onto the wall. My parents have one, the brand is Master.

This. Almost all holiday lettings do this.

Change the code every so often, arrange cleaner for midday on day of depart.

Burdocks would be good location wise but there's no guarantee they won't go missing or end up in a piece of battered cod.

The lock box is a good idea the building caretaker is as cantankerous as they come and I'm pretty sure he'd be out with the hack saw or angle grinder as soon as he saw it.

The lock box is a good idea the building caretaker is as cantankerous as they come and I'm pretty sure he'd be out with the hack saw or angle grinder as soon as he saw it.

As he should be, you can't just put something up on common property.

Ok just getting back to this again, I think the lock box is the best idea but it seems like attaching one to any common area would be an issue.

There is a metal gate with bars on the street behind that accesses the car park and it would be suitable for attaching a box like this. If I was to ask permission to attach one who would I ask...the management company or Dublin city council or someone else? Would it need planning permission?

I know it probably wouldn't be allowed but no harm in asking right..?

Ok just getting back to this again, I think the lock box is the best idea but it seems like attaching one to any common area would be an issue.

There is a metal gate with bars on the street behind that accesses the car park and it would be suitable for attaching a box like this. If I was to ask permission to attach one who would I ask...the management company or Dublin city council or someone else? Would it need planning permission?

I know it probably wouldn't be allowed but no harm in asking right..?

Management company and they should say no but you never know. If they let one owner do it then they'll have to let all owners. You'll also risk them taking action against you for short term letting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Maybe I'm picky, but if I'd just arrived in a new place, I wouldn't want to have to start wandering around the place searching for the key, and would be extremely unimpressed if I had to go wandering around to the street behind, or to a chip shop, or pretty much anywhere that isn't in the building I'm going to, lugging luggage all the time.

I realise AirBnB is a more casual rental style, so maybe the answer is that I shouldn't use it. The original setup was to welcome people into your home, not leave them like latchkey kids in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thoie wrote: »
    Maybe I'm picky, but if I'd just arrived in a new place, I wouldn't want to have to start wandering around the place searching for the key, and would be extremely unimpressed if I had to go wandering around to the street behind, or to a chip shop, or pretty much anywhere that isn't in the building I'm going to, lugging luggage all the time.

I realise AirBnB is a more casual rental style, so maybe the answer is that I shouldn't use it. The original setup was to welcome people into your home, not leave them like latchkey kids in the street.

My experience with AirBnB is that it is quite common to pick up a key from some other place close by - and you get explicit instructions about this before you arrive.

Some renters are small time BnB or guesthouse operations who don't actually live on site (and IMHO these are best 'cos you aren't under the landlady's beady eye all the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Do you not have a local person who cleans and does the laundry after each let.
    Would they not be able to hand over keys at the appropriate time for an additional charge.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Do you not have a local person who cleans and does the laundry after each let.
    Would they not be able to hand over keys at the appropriate time for an additional charge.

I have a person that does the cleaning but she's not local and has to travel into town. She did meet the last tenants for me but they were delayed by over 2 hours which meant she had to wait for them, and she has a young daughter so it's not really feasible for her.

It would be good to get someone local that I could pay to do it but I don't know anyone and finding someone reliable is difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Is there a code or fob to enter apartments? If the apartment is a code for communal door, why not get a door lock on your front door that has a combination code to enter it. Bought one a while back and cost around 150 euro. You can change the code as often as you like then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

My mates used to live in an apartment on Lord Edward Street and used to leave their key in the little newsagent there (they only had one between a couple) - they are open all hours as well so you could possibly come to an arrangement with them - not ideal though.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

To be honest with you OP; if you're not around to do this yourself then you need to hire someone who can do the odd jobs and be available as a local contact for giving/receiving keys and for emergencies.
    Might be an idea to put up an add on gumtree or adverts looking for someone who could do this for you; let them then charge you an hourly rate for any day they have to call up to meet people or have to head over to the apartment to carry out repairs etc.

Advertisement