Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car diagnostics machine on Grab one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Autel Maxiscan MS509 is a proper bit of kit, but you'll do better price-wise on the likes of Amazon, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

bop1977 wrote: »

Mmm, this is a deprecated model as well. Autel have replaced it with the Autolink AL519, so it'll be turning up here-and-there at good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

jimgoose wrote: »
    The Autel Maxiscan MS509 is a proper bit of kit, but you'll do better price-wise on the likes of Amazon, methinks.

Autel are great but I wouldn't call it a proper bit of kit as it only does OBD II, which has very very limited uses. An MD802 would be far better

rex-x wrote: »
    Autel are great but I wouldn't call it a proper bit of kit as it only does OBD II, which has very very limited uses. An MD802 would be far better

As core OBD-II only handheld scanners go it is a proper bit of kit - it works. The MaxDiag MD802 is an advanced bit of equipment costing an order of magnitude more dolla. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

My MD802 only cost me 250 euro with a full Eu Licence and updates :)

rex-x wrote: »
    My MD802 only cost me 250 euro with a full Eu Licence and updates :)

Aye. My handheld cost me €20 including P&P from Blighty! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

There really is a big difference to basic OBD2 readers to the more extensive ones.]

Basic OBD2 readers only report the basic fault codes with the engine/gearbox - but thats it. The fancier ones [read = dearer] go into a lot of different levels that the basic ones simply cannot, eg airbag/ABS/dash/immobiliser etc

Im on the market for a half-decent one via a laptop and I have my eye on one of these.....

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-newest-version-TCS-CDP-pro-plus-for-autocom-car-and-truck-Auto-OBD2-OBDII-OBD/1873281884.html?s=p

mullingar wrote: »
    There really is a big difference to basic OBD2 readers to the more extensive ones.]

Basic OBD2 readers only report the basic fault codes with the engine/gearbox - but thats it. The fancier ones [read = dearer] go into a lot of different levels that the basic ones simply cannot, eg airbag/ABS/dash/immobiliser etc...

Correct. The way they do this is via incorporating manufacturer-specific modules, many of which are proprietary and licensed, and hence the cost compared to mandatory core-powertrain-only ones.

Advertisement