Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoulder pain-

Options
  • 13-07-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all

Let me start by saying that I am not looking medical advice per se more so an opinion on where I should go to access treatment.

I am a relatively novice runner, I run probably 20 miles a week but am increasing that. For the past while I have noticed a pain in my shoulder/neck on my right side when running - it starts when I'm about 3/4 miles into a run. I always stretch and loosen my shoulders but it doesn't help.

I want to get someone to look at it but am not sure if a physio is where I should go or if I should get a GP appt first with a subsequent referral to a physio.

I don't think I am injured as such as I have never hurt my shoulder/arm/neck.

I suppose my question is what does a physio do (I have never had to visit one before). Would they be able to examine me and potentially diagnose the cause of my pain? Or do physios only treat injuries once diagnosed by someone else. I don't want to make an appt with one for them to turn me away and say I need to see a dr before them.

As I said I have never been to a physio before so am very clueless to what they do. Sorry if my queries sound dumb/misinformed.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

A physio will be able to both diagnose and treat your issue, so that would be your best bet. If you post a rough location someone may be able to recommend a good physio who deals with runners in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MissCatherine_

pconn062 wrote: »
    A physio will be able to both diagnose and treat your issue, so that would be your best bet. If you post a rough location someone may be able to recommend a good physio who deals with runners in your area.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I'm based in the Ballsbridge/Donnybrook areas in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Could be your running style. Try relax your upper-body when you run, occasionally drop your arms and roll your head and shoulders to ease out tension. Shoulder/neck pain is not unusual for those who hold their upper-body to stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MissCatherine_

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Could be your running style. Try relax your upper-body when you run, occasionally drop your arms and roll your head and shoulders to ease out tension. Shoulder/neck pain is not unusual for those who hold their upper-body to stiff.

Hey, thanks for the input and I will take your tips on board. I 'try' and run tension free and stretch during the run. However i think my issue might be more than running style as I ran 8 miles on saturday and am still experiencing some shoulder/arm pain now (Monday evening) and not that I know a lot about these things but that doesn't seem right.

I have had a look on boards here and Pearse St Physios seem popular so I am going to book a appt with them and take it for there. I would prefer to get checked out before it worsens.

Thanks again

Advertisement