Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to East region w/ small dog?

Options
  • 13-07-2014 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Evening all!

I will be moving to Ireland from the Netherlands in a couple of weeks because I managed to land myself a job in Dublin. Naturally the things that come with moving are finding somewhere to live and finding a car. I am the most worried about the former... because I'll be moving with a dog. Now I know there have been several posts about moving with a dog but I just want to ask you guys again because some topics are quite old.

So, I'll be moving with my dog. He's a neutered pure-bred miniature Schnauzer meaning that he's "only" 20 pounds and doesn't shed. He is house trained and very quiet. I would be able to get references from his previous trainers and the vet on his health.
    Problem is that I have never lived anywhere other than "home" (with my parents) except for a three month period when I stayed in university accommodation in the UK. That would be my only reference and that was without my dog. WHELP.

What would be a good way to approach this because there is absolutely no way that I'm leaving him behind and I need somewhere to live?! Are landlords usually ok with having a small dog in a property if I offer them a higher deposit (in case he breaks something - which he wont - and when we move out so they can do a deep clean)? Are they more likely to accept if I explain to them that he'll be at day care whilst I'm at work so he wont be disruptive when I'm not there?

Please be honest, I need to know what my chances (however high or low they might be) are :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,754 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there. As your query is more related to accommodation rather than the East region I am moving this thread to a more appropriate forum.

Best of luck with your move.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 45 phoenixx90

I'm sorry, I'm new to this board! Thanks for moving it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

You can go on www.daft.ie and there you can choose to do an 'advanced search' for rental properties in your desired region and choose the criteria ''pets allowed''.

Hi Cunning Stunt,

I tried that and unfortunately that doesn't bring up much although I have contacted each and every landlord that did have an ad in my price range that stated "pets allowed". I was hoping (maybe against hope) that even though the ad did not specifically state that pets are allowed that the landlords are ok with it (with higher deposit and references from trainers/vet)?

Thanks for your help though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

phoenixx90 wrote: »
    I will be moving to Ireland from the Netherlands in a couple of weeks because I managed to land myself a job in Dublin.
    Do a quick search, and see if the job is in very middle of Dublin, or to the north/west/south? I ask as it can help us to help you to broaden the search area.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Do a quick search, and see if the job is in very middle of Dublin, or to the north/west/south? I ask as it can help us to help you to broaden the search area.

It's in Park West, so in the West. I've looked at everything from Greystones/Bray to Maynooth, Newbridge, Naas, Enfield and up to Ashbourne and Navan (and areas in between). I can go up as high as €650 per month. I'll be buying a car so those places are do-able to get to by car (I think most of them are 40min max?). If you have any other ideas..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Hi Cunning Stunt,

I tried that and unfortunately that doesn't bring up much although I have contacted each and every landlord that did have an ad in my price range that stated "pets allowed". I was hoping (maybe against hope) that even though the ad did not specifically state that pets are allowed that the landlords are ok with it (with higher deposit and references from trainers/vet)?

Thanks for your help though :D

In my experience, some landlords might be ok with a dog if they like the tenant. The market in Dublin is very hot though so they will have plenty of easier (non-pet owning) tenants to choose from. Also, you are not likely to be able to live in an apartment; it's not even up to the landlord, but most apartment developments have rules against keeping larger pets. It's not a done thing in Ireland to keep dogs in apartments. Your best chance is a (shared I suppose) house in less popular areas, you'll also get better rent.

mhge wrote: »
    In my experience, some landlords might be ok with a dog if they like the tenant. The market in Dublin is very hot though so they will have plenty of easier (non-pet owning) tenants to choose from. Also, you are not likely to be able to live in an apartment; it's not even up to the landlord, but most apartment developments have rules against keeping larger pets. It's not a done thing in Ireland to keep dogs in apartments. Your best chance is a (shared I suppose) house in less popular areas, you'll also get better rent.

Ah, fair enough and thanks for explaining. I get that, unfortunately that means bad news in my case! Any pointers as though where those less popular areas are? :D

It's in Park West, so in the West. I've looked at everything from Greystones/Bray to Maynooth, Newbridge, Naas, Enfield and up to Ashbourne and Navan (and areas in between). I can go up as high as €650 per month. I'll be buying a car so those places are do-able to get to by car (I think most of them are 40min max?). If you have any other ideas..... :D
    Add Celbridge to your search. The Hazelhatch train station has parking, and the train goes to Parkwest Station. Along said train tack, Adamstown (and thus Lucan), and Sallins (although train fares to Sallins will probably be high, and may not be entitle you to cheap weekly train tickets). The M7 goes from Sallins to Parkwest, though.

To search, click to search Lettings for "Kildare", and then click "Advanced Search", and select "anywhere in Kildare". Tick the box "Garden / Patio / Balcony", and select a max of €650. Click Search, and when the results pop up, click the "Map View" tab. This will let you see where the places are in relation to the railway and motorways.

I selected "garden", as there's more of a chance that someone with a garden will allow a dog. Best of luck!

Ah, fair enough and thanks for explaining. I get that, unfortunately that means bad news in my case! Any pointers as though where those less popular areas are? :D

The ones you mentioned are absolutely realistic, but central Dublin or anything on the Luas/DART line are areas of huge demand now.

• Advertisement

Any pointers as though where those less popular areas are? :D
    On the "less popular" areas, keep in mind that "less popular" areas in Dublin are less popular due to the bored teenagers who vandalize things (such as cars), and thus you should look into areas not in Dublin that are cheap, as opposed to places in Dublin that are cheap as they are within hellholes where it isn't safe to walk home when it's dark (lot of Dublin is good, but like everywhere, there are bad places).

On the "less popular" areas, keep in mind that "less popular" areas in Dublin are less popular due to the bored teenagers who vandalize things (such as cars), and thus you should look into areas not in Dublin that are cheap, as opposed to places in Dublin that are cheap as they are within hellholes where it isn't safe to walk home when it's dark (lot of Dublin is good, but like everywhere, there are bad places).

That's very true. In general, Park West is hardly exciting, so for your own enjoyment you may have much better quality of life if you find something nice in a neighbouring town (Maynooth, Celbridge, Newbridge) with its own social life, shopping etc., rather than in a bland or risky suburb in West Dublin. More options for dog friendly housing too I suppose! Having a car is a great advantage.

Add Celbridge to your search. [not allowed to post links so had to delete them]. Along said train tack, Adamstown (and thus Lucan), and Sallins (although train fares to Sallins will probably be high, and may not be entitle you to cheap weekly train tickets). The M7 goes from Sallins to Parkwest, though.

To search, click to search Lettings for "Kildare", and then click "Advanced Search", and select "anywhere in Kildare". Tick the box "Garden / Patio / Balcony", and select a max of €650. Click Search, and when the results pop up, click the "Map View" tab. This will let you see where the places are in relation to the railway and motorways.

I selected "garden", as there's more of a chance that someone with a garden will allow a dog. Best of luck!

That is a great idea, I never thought of that! Thanks so much for the tip :D In fact I'm going to do that right now, curious to see what I can find.

The other posters following the quoted reply. Thanks for the ideas! And Park West.. what can I say. Great place to work but hardly exciting, yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

That is a great idea, I never thought of that! Thanks so much for the tip :D In fact I'm going to do that right now, curious to see what I can find.

The other posters following the quoted reply. Thanks for the ideas! And Park West.. what can I say. Great place to work but hardly exciting, yes :)

Does you PET have an update to date passport, and have you checked the relevant requirements for bringing a dog into the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Be aware that you need to be looking at houses. It's against the development rules of almost every apartment complex I know to have dogs. Some people get them anyway but it can lead to all kinds of problems. In our development you would either have to move out or relocate the dog if you were found to have one.

Does you PET have an update to date passport, and have you checked the [cannot post links yet]relevant requirements for bringing a dog into the country[/URL].

He does, I took him along to the UK in September and everything was fine then. He has his passport, chip and rabies (from last year, 3 year validity) so the only thing he needs is his tapeworm treatment 120-24 hrs before we go to Ireland :D

athtrasna wrote: »
    Be aware that you need to be looking at houses. It's against the development rules of almost every apartment complex I know to have dogs. Some people get them anyway but it can lead to all kinds of problems. In our development you would either have to move out or relocate the dog if you were found to have one.

That's a good point, thanks! Would a bungalow also be considered a house? I found a nice property in Newbridge that is a bungalow with a small (not closed-off) back garden and I'm just waiting to hear something back from the letting agent because I only contacted her yesterday.

Does anyone have any tips on how to breach the subject of wanting to bring a dog to the property? Should I just drop it on them all of a sudden or gently warm them to the idea? Sorry, I've just never done this before and I really don't want to end up looking for a property for months while working and leaving my dog someplace else /worriesworries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That's a good point, thanks! Would a bungalow also be considered a house? I found a nice property in Newbridge that is a bungalow with a small (not closed-off) back garden and I'm just waiting to hear something back from the letting agent because I only contacted her yesterday.

Does anyone have any tips on how to breach the subject of wanting to bring a dog to the property? Should I just drop it on them all of a sudden or gently warm them to the idea? Sorry, I've just never done this before and I really don't want to end up looking for a property for months while working and leaving my dog someplace else /worriesworries

A bungalow is a house but if the garden isn't closed off, just be sure that it's not in a managed development as these too have rules, often banning pets.

athtrasna wrote: »
    A bungalow is a house but if the garden isn't closed off, just be sure that it's not in a managed development as these too have rules, often banning pets.

It's just a bungalow in a cul-de-sac so I dont think it's a managed development. Or at least, I hope so! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dazedmom

When I was moving I asked straight awayif they allowed small dogs, pointed out he was house trained, and even places that hadnt got it on the advert nearly all said yes.
    In some cases its the letting agent not the landlord themselves that put the no pet allowed on the advert.
    So you could try asking them to check foryou ?

• Advertisement

dazedmom wrote: »
    When I was moving I asked straight awayif they allowed small dogs, pointed out he was house trained, and even places that hadnt got it on the advert nearly all said yes.
    In some cases its the letting agent not the landlord themselves that put the no pet allowed on the advert.
    So you could try asking them to check foryou ?

That's so good to hear, thanks for sharing! :D My dog is house trained AND doesn't shed (we got a miniature schnauzer because my dad is allergic to dogs) so I guess that's a double plus in a way. I will definitely ask each and every landlord if they allow small dogs.

Is it better to email them or speak to them over the phone? I'm still in the Netherlands so I cannot see them in person yet however I'd be more than willing to fly over and meet with a couple of landlords in a few days to look at prospective places.

That's so good to hear, thanks for sharing! :D My dog is house trained AND doesn't shed (we got a miniature schnauzer because my dad is allergic to dogs) so I guess that's a double plus in a way. I will definitely ask each and every landlord if they allow small dogs.

Is it better to email them or speak to them over the phone? I'm still in the Netherlands so I cannot see them in person yet however I'd be more than willing to fly over and meet with a couple of landlords in a few days to look at prospective places.

Over the phone works better, emails often go unanswered as they deal with people phoning in first. I would normally ask for their pet policy when I arrange a viewing as not to waste anyone's time, but if you'd like to gain some experience viewing places you can just ask during the viewing. Landlords generally like single professionals so it should work to your advantage too.

mhge wrote: »
    Over the phone works better, emails often go unanswered as they deal with people phoning in first. I would normally ask for their pet policy when I arrange a viewing as not to waste anyone's time, but if you'd like to gain some experience viewing places you can just ask during the viewing. Landlords generally like single professionals so it should work to your advantage too.

Ah, you guys on here are just making me happier and happier so far! Thanks for all the tips and ideas. Your help is greatly appreciated!

I guess I better start phoning some letting agencies tomorrow then :D

Advertisement