Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car faults pointed by NCT-major or minor?

Options
  • 13-07-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Car's NCT has passed but with the below advisory notice, does the below faults potentially require a big expense to repair?

1)Rear Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases.
    2)Offside Rear spring Suspension spring mounting prescribed area repaired, but not inappropriately.
    3)Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd say minor, not very expensive. That mounting repair could be a dark horse.
    Try 3 local garages for quotes and go with the best one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Can someone explain no.2 cant get my head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Can someone explain no.2 cant get my head around it.

Probably because what's written makes no sense

Probably because what's written makes no sense

It has to, surely the nct tester cannot state a nonsencical minor fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No. 3 is a no brainer anyway, get the brake pads replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

It has to, surely the nct tester cannot state a nonsencical minor fault?

Or possibly that the OP is not not quoting word for word what the NCT tester mentioned or confusing what he said?...although I have being in a situation or 2 where a NCT tester was somewhat vague in explaining something to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭simply simple

Or possibly that the OP is not not quoting word for word what the NCT tester mentioned or confusing what he said?...although I have being in a situation or 2 where a NCT tester was somewhat vague in explaining something to me.

Not a typo, the words are exactly the same as written in the report.

Had you some body repair work done one time on the suspension turret op?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lpower

2)Offside Rear spring Suspension spring mounting prescribed area repaired, but not inappropriately.

They usually mark the parts that fail with spray paint . If you can get a look under the car for paint you will know . Its the top or bottom spring mount they are on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

What kind of car is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

even mechanics can have difficulty in deciphering what they write,visible check may also reveal its rusty or insecure,had a merc in few items failed and repaired,told the customer car should not be on the road as the top of spring mount welded onto the inner panel was going and nct missed it.went back to nct car passed so he drove it
    week later car was wrote off as spring mount went and suspension collapsed .
    :eek::D

might be more than brake pads worn,how bad are the discs?

Advertisement