Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Camshaft position sensor fault codes

Options
  • 13-07-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭

1.8 Tfsi Audi A5
    I got engine management light with a tiny blip in power which recovered immediately with light staying.
    Checked with vagcom for codes and got

Camshaft position sensor (G40)- Signal too high
    P0343 00[232] - Open circuit

and

Camshaft position sensor (G40)- Signal too low
    P0342 00 [096] - Electrical fault in circuit

Never had any issue before from new. 90k miles now on car.
    Sensor is cheap and easy to replace but is there any chance this is related to the timing chain stretching. Some of the smaller Tfsi engines had trouble with chains but Ive not heard of the 1.8 Tfsi giving chain trouble.
    The code does say electrical fault too so hopefully not
    Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

With it saying open circuit and electrical fault in circuit I'd say you're safe enough changing the sensor. Its also possible that you could have wiring trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Stoolbend wrote: »
    With it saying open circuit and electrical fault in circuit I'd say you're safe enough changing the sensor. Its also possible that you could have wiring trouble.

I have all wiring diagrams so I should be able to locate both ends of wires etc for checking.
    Anyway, I cleared codes and have covered many many miles since this morning and is fine for now.

Advertisement