Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car accident

Options
  • 13-07-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey days ago I was driving my mums car (I have liberty insurance do can drive other peoples cars under my own insurance) when a neighbour drove out of his driveway without looking and drove into me. Small damage done to the passenger side door. As soon as I got out he admitted liability told me he wasn't looking and that I should claim of his insurance. I took his details and some photos. I thought that's all we could do at the time so went home told the parents and then took the car to local garage to get a quote. Next day took quote to him (quote was on high end I suppose) he had changed his time wanted to keep insurance out of it cos he would lose no claims and so would I! He basically said that if I made a claim against him he would have to deny liability and make one against me ( I'm male 22 so insurance is high enough as is). He said he would get someone he knows to give him a quote to fix door. But still waiting to hear back off him. It happened on Thursday and dropped quote on Friday.

What should I do? Does anyone have advice?

EDIT: thanks very much for all the replies! I really appreciate it! I'll post back here with results!

EDIT 2: contacted both his and my insurance today. Sent him a courtesy text explaining since he wasn't happy with quote would have to go to insurance. Late this evening he replied with a long text saying he definitely won't be accepting liability and claimed he was stopped at the time of the accident, that he thinks quote too high, trying to be neighbourly, blah blah, now it's going to affect both our no claims bonus.

There is a lot going on at home at the moment with my granny passing away Sunday and my Mum recovery from serious surgery for cancer among many other things. I'm seriously stressed out at the moment and don't need this.

I'm just worried it will turn into my word against his and that he will screw up my insurance!
    Any advice on what to do now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tell him you are going through the insurance and have photographic evidence of the crash. Then go through the insurance, life is too short to be messing around with idiots like this where you are doing them a favour and they throw it back in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

He was driving out of his driveway; there isnt a hope in hell that your insurance will be affected by this. Ignore the clown; make your claim and let insurance deal with it.

If you want to get it fixed outside of insurance then do it at a garage of your choosing, not his. The price is dictated by you; if he doesnt want to pay to get it repaired where you want to go then the alternative is to let the insurance handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Report it to your insurer and notify his insurer that you intend to claim. Do not get in to any other conversation with him other that to refer him to your insurance company, As the other poster said, you tried to do the right thing and he is now trying to blackmail you. I wouldnt entertain the fool for another minute

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

He can deny liability till the cows come home. His insurers assessor will have one look at the accident and admit liability on his behalf. As has been said notify your own insurance and let them deal with it that's what ya pay them for

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just to add, you decide where to get your car repaired, not the other party. Too often you hear the other party telling you they know a guy who can do the repair job cheaper, this suits their pocket and you then end up with a cheap crap repair job that devalues your car further. It's your car so you decide on where the work gets done and to a standard you are satisfied with.

So I would give me two choices. Either accept to pay the garage the quoted repair cost you got for him or you go through his insurance. Also give him a deadline of a maybe few days as more often than not, people will take advantage and promise to sort it out but give lots of excuses and it ends up dragging on hoping you forget about it. Also f he wants to pay himself then make sure he pays the garage, not you because you then have to chase him for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Just go through insurance
    If its this messy now it will only get worse when it comes to actually paying up.

your also entitled to have a loan car when car is off the road. I doubt thats been factored in so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just to add, you decide where to get your car repaired, not the other party. Too often you hear the other party telling you they know a guy who can do the repair job cheaper, this suits their pocket and you then end up with a cheap crap repair job that devalues your car further. It's your car so you decide on where the work gets done and to a standard you are satisfied with.

So I would give me two choices. Either accept to pay the garage the quoted repair cost you got for him or you go through his insurance. Also give him a deadline of a maybe few days as more often than not, people will take advantage and promise to sort it out but give lots of excuses and it ends up dragging on hoping you forget about it. Also f he wants to pay himself then make sure he pays the garage, not you because you then have to chase him for the money.

Good advice but it might be worth asking around yourself for another couple of quotes - from reliable independent garage - as well. Its better to remain civil with neighbours if at all possible as presumably you'll be meeting them regularly for the foreseeable future. So I'd advise that you make some effort to get a competitive quote and not just take the "not my fault" approach

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In an ideal world being civil works but when it comes to things like money or insurance claims, logic goes out the window. The neighbour obviously wants to get the car fixed at the minimum cost to him/her however it's not down to him/her. The OP was quite willing to let the neighbour settle outside of their insurance but now the neighbour isn't happy with that figure and wants to bring it a guy he/she knows. With this sort of messing it's time to let the insurance company handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

bazz26 wrote: »
    In an ideal world being civil works but when it comes to things like money or insurance claims, logic goes out the window. The neighbour obviously wants to get the car fixed at the minimum cost to him/her however it's not down to him/her. The OP was quite willing to let the neighbour settle outside of their insurance but now the neighbour isn't happy with that figure and wants to bring it a guy he/she knows. With this sort of messing it's time to let the insurance company handle it.
    I agree. The second he started mouthing off about not admitting liability I'd have walked away and got straight on to the insurance.
    You would expect that from a stranger alright, but not a neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Its better to remain civil with neighbours if at all possible as presumably you'll be meeting them regularly for the foreseeable future. So I'd advise that you make some effort to get a competitive quote and not just take the "not my fault" approach
    I'd normally agree, but the neighbour fed the OP a line of horse**** about his NCB being impacted. This neighbour has no respect for the OP.

Contact your insurance company now OP and let them know. Send them your report of the incident and any pictures, plus the neighbour's details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

visual wrote: »
    Just go through insurance
    If its this messy now it will only get worse when it comes to actually paying up.

your also entitled to have a loan car when car is off the road. I doubt thats been factored in so far.
    That's not always true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Also, make sure you're physically ok after the crash. Sometimes injuries are felt after a few days.

Notify your insurance and let them guide you through it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sam Kade wrote: »
    That's not always true

If you need a car and your car is off the road due to th liability of another driver, you will get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

He is trying to intimidate you because your are young.

Don't stand for it.

Off you pop to your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

kceire wrote: »
    If you need a car and your car is off the road due to th liability of another driver, you will get one.
    It depends on the insurance company. I thought the same until I was involved in an accident with the other party in the wrong, their insurance would not provide me with a courtesy car. You need to claim for the courtesy car off your own insurance but you will have to get the car repaired at a garage they say, then your insurance will go after the other parties insurance to claim back for the courtesy car if they fail it stays on your insurance affecting your ncb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It depends on the insurance company. I thought the same until I was involved in an accident with the other party in the wrong, their insurance would not provide me with a courtesy car. You need to claim for the courtesy car off your own insurance but you will have to get the car repaired at a garage they say, then your insurance will go after the other parties insurance to claim back for the courtesy car if they fail it stays on your insurance affecting your ncb.

Fair enough. Maybe I was just lucky, or unlucky as I got a Fiat Panda :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

That's not always true

If your claiming of own insurance it will be as per policy, may or may not be included.

If your claiming from someone else then all legitimate cost incurred, including car rental for reasonable period of time while yours is being repaired.

in this case as OP doesn't own car. It will be the owner of car who will be entitled to rental.

Advertisement