Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which motherboard brand?

Options
  • 13-07-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning a little Mobo/CPU/RAM upgrade for my current PC, and have settled on an H97 mATX board. I have no need for any overclocking, external graphics or extensive PCI(e) slots, so no need for Z97 or a full ATX board.

Anyway I've narrowed it down to ...

Asrock H97 Pro 4
    Asus H97M-E
    Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
    MSI H97M-G43

Price wise there isn't much between them, and I've had every manufacturer of board there apart from MSI over the years and not had a single problem, but what is the current feeling regarding reliability / support etc. for that list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Asus board gets my vote. I really like the look of their fan control stuff that you get in the UEFI. ASRock really have to play catch-up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks, I've gone for the ASUS, which was my first preference I must admit. Their fan control stuff is good OK, I have an E35M1-I Deluxe in my HTPC and that's great for keeping the case fan nice and quiet (yes, I know it's passively cooled but I don't trust it : )). The fan control stuff on the H97M-E is supposed to deal intelligently with non-PWM 3-pin fans as well which is a bonus as I want to keep costs down and keep my old fans. Have an i5-4460 and 8GB of Crucial Ballistix RAM on order as well which should be an improvement in my current Core2-Duo E8400.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

My current PC is more than 5 years old and has a Gigabyte motherboard. Gigabyte gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

ASUS for me. Switched from Gigabyte a few years back and since then ASUS have never let me down.

Advertisement