Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing lock.

Options
  • 13-07-2014 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

When I arrived home to my rental property last night I couldn't open the front door. It was always slightly difficult to open but now the key is sticking at a certain point and won't turn any further. Luckily enough I have family living about an hour away from my house so my son and I at least had somewhere to stay last night. The estate agency is closed until Monday and I possess no emergency contact number for them. It's very inconvenient for me to stay out of the house another night and I also can't use my laptop which I needed to do work over the weekend. Would I be within my rights to have somebody look at the lock today and repair if necessary? Obviously I don't want to be out of pocket either, I would only proceed with this if I had the right to be reimbursed also. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi Sharebear,

If you ring the estate agent is there an emergency contact number on the voicemail?

Alternatively if you are in an apt complex do you know who the management company are? They may have a locksmith who could assist.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Did you try oiling the key/lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

This happened to me only last week. The door closed with the latch on so the key wouldnt turn. Landlord said its my choice, a locksmith or try bust it open. O bust it open without causing too much damage. Crow bar and a hammer at the point where the lock goes into the reciever in the frame. Was surprisingly easy. Just consult your LL first

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sharebear

Thanks for the replies all. Henry Ford III I oiled the key and worked perfectly. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this sort of thing! Cheers for the advice. :)

Advertisement