Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting neighbours

Options
  • 12-07-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I created a thread before about an issue I was having with noisy Asian neighbours. The situation has become worse and there are at least 7 or 8 people living in a 2 bed apartment. One of them has set up home in the attic (we think) because we hear them walking around up there. The noise is ridiculous.

Any suggestions on how to go about reporting them? We've tried going down the management company route but they haven't been much help. They just told me they notified the landlord about the noise and he'd spoken to them.

Do I go to any particular regulatory body? They must have split each room into 2 as we can hear them cooking in the upstairs bedroom. Surely this is illegal?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They could be cooking food for some local take-away.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yellow1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They could be cooking food for some local take-away.

Yeah we thought that initially but not sure now. Such a weird set up. A couple who live there went away for 6 weeks last year and arrived back with a 3/4 yr old child who now lives in there too.

And one of them gets the bus into town every morning with college books and another drives a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Contact your local headquarters of HSE. Ask for the EHO dept and tell them your story. Keep the conversation limited to the cooking and the overcrowding. If there is an issue with the cooking/food, the EHO's are also working for the Food Safety Authority. They can prosecute if its of a commercial nature.

Contact your local headquarters of HSE. Ask for the EHO dept and tell them your story. Keep the conversation limited to the cooking and the overcrowding. If there is an issue with the cooking/food, the EHO's are also working for the Food Safety Authority. They can prosecute if its of a commercial nature.

Thanks, that's a great help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yellow1 wrote: »
    Yeah we thought that initially but not sure now. Such a weird set up. A couple who live there went away for 6 weeks last year and arrived back with a 3/4 yr old child who now lives in there too.

Most likely their own child who they left with the grandparents in their home country as they were working to support themselves here, as far as I know it's not unusual among the Chinese for example.
    Did you post a thread about chopping/prepping noise before? Is that still going on?

• Advertisement

mhge wrote: »
    Most likely their own child who they left with the grandparents in their home country as they were working to support themselves here, as far as I know it's not unusual among the Chinese for example.
    Did you post a thread about chopping/prepping noise before? Is that still going on?

No the tapping noise has mainly stopped and we thought it was as a result of reporting them to their landlord.

Another theory is the tapping/banging noise was actually renovations being done to split the rooms up etc as the extra people have since moved in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yellow1 wrote: »
    No the tapping noise has mainly stopped and we thought it was as a result of reporting them to their landlord.

Another theory is the tapping/banging noise was actually renovations being done to split the rooms up etc as the extra people have since moved in

So if overcrowding (and resulting noise pollution) is the only issue you should talk to the Environmental Health Officer, they should take it seriously due to fire safety issues. The person in the attic has no escape route for example.

It's probably best to invest in some soundproofing regardless, it's not normal to hear the sound of cooking or a person walking from another property!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MsCT

Hi all can anyone help with a neighbour who cinstantly hitting my front door with ball...aged 10 or so but houses terraced, no front garden or wall just plays on rd and hits my door, then hits neighbours door whose alarm gets set off. Can anyone advise as the mother not from Ireland and told neighbour to f**k off when she asked nicely to stop!!! 2 years later and same story getting worse...Help !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Try leaving your door open and sitting in the hall. When the ball comes in close the door and refuse to give it back until he agrees to stop hitting your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Cover your door in sharp nails that will puncture the ball

• Advertisement

I know I have done this and thanks but he is so careful when I do that...its ridiculous. The neighbour lives abroad and no tenants will take house anymore as the ball hopping is constant sometimes at 5 and 6am?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

The little fuc***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

MsCT wrote: »
    Can anyone advise as the mother not from Ireland and told neighbour to f**k off when she asked nicely to stop!!!
    Is she an owner or a renter? You need to start keeping records and making complaints regardless.

The neighbour who is abroad is an owner...she sent her sister tonight who had to come from outside youghal to turn off alarm after 6 hrs constant...he never ever hits his own door..they also have a basketball net on street...I will keep records I hae photos and video footage of him playing so close to door. The neighbour caught the husband climbing over her wall nxt to her bk door which scared her a bit!!!!

mhge wrote: »
    So if overcrowding (and resulting noise pollution) is the only issue you should talk to the Environmental Health Officer, they should take it seriously due to fire safety issues. The person in the attic has no escape route for example.

It's probably best to invest in some soundproofing regardless, it's not normal to hear the sound of cooking or a person walking from another property!

Appreciate the suggestion but I'm not going to spend my money on soundproofing my property as the structure of the property isn't the issue - they're concrete built and we never hear a peep out of our other neighbours or the neighbours before the noisy lot. It's the level of noise they're making that's the problem. And walking around on joints in the attic that weren't built for walking on. For example if your neighbours were having loud parties every night you wouldn't be expected to soundproof your house as a solution.

Anyway thanks, I'm going to contact the EHO this week.

Advertisement