Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Yaris Fan Belt

Options
  • 12-07-2014 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to replace the fan belt on the Yaris, (2000 model). I've managed to get it off but when I have it off, I can't take the belt off cause it's caught around the engine mount. As in the mount is in the middle of the belt. Am I going to have to get the engine taken out a bit to put the new one on or am i missing out on something?

Sorry if it's a bit confusing on what I said, this is my first time doing it, I'm trying to learn how to do different bits and pieces in the car so I'm not running to a mechanic all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I'm assuming you just need to remove the engine mount?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

True, though would that I not need a jack or something to stop the engine from falling then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

on the 1.3 you just undo one bolt on the alternator and pivot it in and it comes off handy. i have a 1.0 in the garden but i'm way too comfortable to check right now :P. seems bizarre on such a small engine that there would be a need to remove the engine mount, but maybe.

True, though would that I not need a jack or something to stop the engine from falling then?
    Not usually, there are usually about 3 engine mounts so removing one shouldn't matter but probably no harm supporting the engine with a block of wood and a jack just incase it moves but even if it did you would be able to move it back by hand or a lever or something.

i'd use the cars jack under the gearbox and let the jack just take the strain of the weight and you should be sound. still can't believe it's coming to this though :pac:

• Advertisement

Toyotafanboi: it's the same on the 1.0. but the way that it seems to be in the mount goes in the middle of the belt and cogs it goes round.

iamtony: thanks, i'll have a look and see!

I can't believe it either, been looking at videos and it only takes a couple minutes! Asked a couple of fitters in work and they said the same thing!:eek:

well it's a straightforward thing, if you say the belt is around it i don't doubt you :) post a photo for the laugh.

don't be daunted either way. put a jack somewhere firm under the car. the engine side if the gearbox would be best (the sump would be bad, don't do this) and just let the jack take the weight and you can undo the mount. it won't matter too much as you have a couple of other mounts anyway.

Here's one i took before taking the belt off to remember which way it went. That damn engine mount is the rusty thing on the right!

yeah, you're right, looks like the mount will have to go. that's a pretty bad looking belt btw :P

• Advertisement

yeah, you're right, looks like the mount will have to go. that's a pretty bad looking belt btw :P

Tell me about it! I'll be happy when it's gone! The noise out of it! :P Over 86000 and its the first time its been done from what I know! Next thing to take care of is giving it a service! :P

Just finished it there, thanks a lot for all the help! Just to prove it the picture is there! :P

That's a fine lookin new belt fair play. Soon you will be doing everything that's needed on the car with confidence, no bother!

I started my DIY career after getting sick of mechanics doing a shabby job and charging a fortune for simple jobs now I can do just about everything myself!

Hope to get to that level alright! A Haynes manual is the next thing to get me thinks! Thanks again!

Advertisement