Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD for Netbook, worthwhile?

Options
  • 12-07-2014 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭

I have an Asus Eee PC 1011PX netbook. It has 1GB of RAM that is soldered to the motherboard so is not upgradeable. It is running Windows 7 starter.

The machine is useful for checking mail and light browsing. However because of the memory limitation it can be painfully slow at times as I assume the machine is paging memory to the hard drive.

I was wondering if upgrading to an SSD would gain me anything in performance? I don't want to spend too much so was looking at 60GB drives on Amazon like the Kingston V300 (£34.98) or the Corsair Force LS (£38.90).

The netbook is SATA 2.

Am I wasting my time and money doing this and if not any advice on my choice of drives would be appreciated? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You're not. Low-end devices benefit a lot from SSDs. More-so than high-end ones, in fact. Depends how much you want to spend for capacity, etc. and what you can live with. Your netbook being SATA2 won't make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Serephucus wrote: »
    You're not. Low-end devices benefit a lot from SSDs. More-so than high-end ones, in fact. Depends how much you want to spend for capacity, etc. and what you can live with. Your netbook being SATA2 won't make any difference.

Thanks for the reply. I think 60GB will be sufficient. Do you have any recommendations for any particular drive?

Not really, I'm afraid. I really only keep track of the larger capacity drives now, and most of those don't go below 120GB.

I've heard good things about the V300, and Corsair's newer drives are generally all pretty solid. To be honest, I'd just buy whichever one has the longer warranty (Corsair are usually very easy to deal with in that regard), all things being equal.

With a netbook, performance won't really be an issue, so go by €/GB, and warranty.

OK I'll check out the warranties. Thanks again for your advice.

No problem.

Oh, actually, steer clear of Crucial's V4 drives (Not to be confused with the M4; those are great), and OCZ's Octane ones, if you happen to see any of those cheap. They had lots of problems.

• Advertisement

You could always put on a lightweight linux distro on it.

An SSD is only going to improve I/O as oppose to a trimmed *nix like OS which will manage memory more efficiently than Microsoft.

NoDrama wrote: »
    You could always put on a lightweight linux distro on it.

An SSD is only going to improve I/O as oppose to a trimmed *nix like OS which will manage memory more efficiently than Microsoft.

It's a family machine and I have tried in the past and failed to get them to use a Linux device. I am going to have to stick with Microsoft.

It's a family machine and I have tried in the past and failed to get them to use a Linux device. I am going to have to stick with Microsoft.

No problem Navi, if you change your mind may I suggest JoliOS which is a cloud OS and needs a minimum of 384MB RAM for operation, I have placed it on old laptops for people who are far from Tech savvy and they love it, it's similar to Google's chromiumOS and actually was out before it.

If you keep with the MS option, make sure and trim it, turn off all non necessary programs from starting with msconfig, turn on windows classic, in whatever browser you use turn off those add's which are using resources by installing adblock and increase your virtual memory (swap).

NoDrama wrote: »
    No problem Navi, if you change your mind may I suggest JoliOS which is a cloud OS and needs a minimum of 384MB RAM for operation, I have placed it on old laptops for people who are far from Tech savvy and they love it, it's similar to Google's chromiumOS and actually was out before it.

If you keep with the MS option, make sure and trim it, turn off all non necessary programs from starting with msconfig, turn on windows classic, in whatever browser you use turn off those add's which are using resources by installing adblock and increase your virtual memory (swap).

Thanks for your advice.

Advertisement