Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you help me name these trees?

Options
  • 12-07-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking to get the names of these trees? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Would be better if you could get a close up picture of the leaf it's easier to identify.
    First two look like maples possibly and third is possibly a Sorbus but get pictures of the leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,178 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As Lurker says, pics need to be a bit more close-up. Agree that the first two look like Acer (Maple) the third one could be several things, its more or less the same shape as a columnar prunus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Couldn't the first two be Sycamore?

Yes - Sycamore is Acer and Maple is Acer too.

Yes I know, just being more specific rather than getting tied up in Latin.

• Advertisement

Well its a bit unlikely that they are sycamore, though it is possible, as they make very big trees that would be out of proportion for the side of a road. Going by the leaf shape though they are members of the same family, there are acers from tiny bushes to huge trees, we can only say they are probably members of the acer family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'd be almost sure the first two are Norway Maple, Acer platanoides of some type. Mainly because its used as a street tree. If not Norway Maple then Sugar Maple, Acer saccharum would be another possible also used in that sort to planting scheme. After a second look it would be hard to say which from your photos.

The second I'd hazard a guess at either Fastigiate Beech, Fagus sylvatica Dawyck or a Fastigiate Oak again because I've seen them used in that sort of planting scheme, but tbh you can't really say from the photo. Fastigiate is just a botanical term for upright.

looksee wrote: »
    Well its a bit unlikely that they are sycamore, though it is possible, as they make very big trees that would be out of proportion for the side of a road. Going by the leaf shape though they are members of the same family, there are acers from tiny bushes to huge trees, we can only say they are probably members of the acer family.

You say unlikely they'd put sycamore at the side of a road, plenty of wrong trees in wrong places over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I would plum for the same as my3cents, Norway Maple, Acer platanoides, the leaves look a bit pointed in picture 2 when zoomed in. Sycamore leaves would be more rounded and probably have tar spots:

Norway Maple
    acpl9631.jpg

Sycamore
    C0065340-Tar_spot_lesions_on_sycamore_leaf-SPL.jpg

A few trees look like picture 3 so more detail please.

Advertisement