Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix or replace Horstmann Quartz E7 water heater - today

Options
  • 12-07-2014 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi - does anyone know of a plumber / electrician that could replace a Horstmann Quartz E7 water heater today? I've attached a pic. It's in an apartment in Christchurch in Dublin 8. It seems to have stopped heating the water overnight and only works on the boost setting.

Also can someone recommend a good replacement type / brand? Should I stick with Horstmann or get some other brand? Can I buy one over the counter in Dublin?

Also if anyone can give me a rough cost for a new unit and for fitting I'd appreciate it.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Heads Up to any Electrician/Plumber - these units are all 10+ years old and there are thousands of then in apartments that will need replacing soon - maybe having a set replacement offer ready to go would be a good business opportunity?

Anywhoo, back to mine, I too have this exact same Horstmann Electricity7 Quartz timer, and it's coming to the end of its life - the two functions it used to do were:-

1) Heat a tank of water at night using night rate electricity (it no longer does) and
    2) allow a manual boost of up to 2 hours (the clockwork is wearing out and not accurate).

So, I'm happy to get a professional to replace this, but want to be sure I'm getting the right upgrade. Namely

a) Will the new timer use the night-time discount electricity or is this controlled elsewhere (the two day/night modules on the main fuseboard - see photo)?
    b) Will a replacement unit take into account other connections (external thermostat, etc) or are they part of the storage heating system??

Is one of these up to the job http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/Product/Sangamo-Programmable-Immersion-Time-Switch-with-Boost-Control/1159/100 ? Thanks all for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    a) Will the new timer use the night-time discount electricity or is this controlled elsewhere (the two day/night modules on the main fuseboard - see photo)?
    The Day / Night electric rates are monitored by two separate Meters irrespective of which time clock you use.
    The modules on the fuse board are for your storage heating and are seperate from your immersion heaters and immersion time clock.
    b) Will a replacement unit take into account other connections (external thermostat, etc) or are they part of the storage heating system??

The time clock is only dealing with the immersion heaters in the hot water cylinder and has nothing to do with the storage heating.

I'm not familiar with this one, I'm sure it works fine. Personally I prefer the newer Grasslin Eco time clock as I (and my customers) find it more user friendly.

Hope that helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

I have one of these Quartz E7 timers and I have the same problem. Timer turns and the light comes on, but the water doesn't heat. Boost function works though.

Can I repair/replace this myself though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

kevpatts wrote: »
    I have one of these Quartz E7 timers and I have the same problem. Timer turns and the light comes on, but the water doesn't heat. Boost function works though.

Can I repair/replace this myself though?

Most likely the night saver immersion element on the side of the hot water cylinder needs to be replaced or there is a problem with the thermostat on the element.
    If its the element, then the cylinder needs to be drained down to remove it, (Running the Taps Does Not Completely Drain Down the Cylinder), if its the thermostat, then its easily accessible. But you need to disconnect the electricity supply and use a multimeter to check both of them to see where the problem is.

Advertisement