Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aspiring Writer

Options
  • 11-07-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

So, I'm a newbie here on boards. I'm not sure if this is in the right place. I just wanted to ask if any writers out there have any tips. How do you know your piece is any good or even ready? I have always had a yearning to write something but I really don't know what that something IS or even if I'll ever find it. Advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Well, the first thing is to start writing! Then do more of it, and you'll learn better ways to do things.

You might have an idea if its any good yourself, but you'll need an outside perspective. Family and friends may help but will be subjective. Hang out on writing forums and see what other people put up. Put up some of your own for critique. Read too; not just novels but maybe short stories in your genres. You can also read books on writing, such as Stephen King's On Writing.

But ultimately, the best way to know is to be judged by your peers, so maybe come back here when you've got something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Avidadtae

I definitely cannot show my family as they will laugh and mock me. I generally write in private, under a pseudonym, so if my family read it they don't know who wrote it. I have always heard that the key to writing is to keep writing but I don't know WHAT exactly to write. I also write poetry which I find soothing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

An important part of allowing yourself to write (because that's what a lot of it is) is learning not to give a flying f*ck what anyone thinks. I doubt anyone ever gets to that state, but you have to try or you'll be crippled as a writer.

If your family mock you, they're dicks.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    An important part of allowing yourself to write (because that's what a lot of it is) is learning not to give a flying f*ck what anyone thinks. I doubt anyone ever gets to that state, but you have to try or you'll be crippled as a writer.

If your family mock you, they're dicks.

I was wondering if there is any order in which to write? For example, would you start off with poetry and then progress to short stories and longer stories?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Poetry is a completely and utterly different medium to stories

Start off with short stories or something

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Write whatever tickles you on a given day.

Take the word 'should' and drop-kick it into space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This too

Even if it is literary diarrhoea? Should I write purely for experience or should I write something worth publishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Avidadtae wrote: »
    Even if it is literary diarrhoea? Should I write purely for experience or should I write something worth publishing?

That's up to you. Do you want to be published, do you want people to have the pleasure of reading your stuff, or do you just want the buzz of creating something?

If looking at publishing, I'd suggest starting small to build your craft and confidence. You could start with a novel and not get it published (as the odds are against you if you're looking for a trad publisher) and then get disheartened. It's easier to get shorts published which will build your confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Avidadtae wrote: »

Unless you are particularly talented, and most of us aren't, then you will only write something worth publishing after you have written a great deal of stuff that isn't so great. Everybody starts somewhere but very few start at the top. The 'overnight successes' have usually been slogging away for years.
    The only way to improve and to hopefully reach a high standard is to write, write and then write some more.

If I could only practice what I preach I might get somewhere.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Can I add to the advice?

Read and read. You will learn so much about writing from reading, admiring, disliking, questioning others work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There's a theory that your first million words are practice, so just write whatever you want to read, and you'll learn from doing it.

Of course, read the theory about the craft of writing, but write with passion because the story is burning to be told, not because you have an eye on a publishing deal. Write because the words are dammed up inside you, bursting to get out, and because you can't settle until you've put them on a page.

Remember, all first drafts are crap. No one can take a first draft to a publisher and get it published. Your first draft will need a lot of rewriting and editing before it's ready to be seen in public, so don't worry if you are convinced that what you are writing is a steaming pile of poop. Just get the story down, and you can edit it afterwards.

Write the length of story that suits you and your story. For a lot of people, a novella is a good starting point, it gives you room to develop your story and yet it's not so long that you'll get bored and decide not to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Short pieces drawn from your own life are a good place to start, as they'll feel more manageable. Creative writing classes can give shape to your thoughts and they're full of like minded people, so there's no mockery.

Advertisement