Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly fainted running?

Options
  • 11-07-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I had a weird running experience last night.

I'm currently training for a half marathon that's in three weeks. I do two short runs a week followed by a long run (two 5ks where I constantly try and get my time down - currently at 23:30). I take it easier for the longer runs and just try and complete them. I have managed to do the full 21k in training 5-6 times always sub 2hrs.

Last night I was on 18k and little midgets were annoying me so I swatted them. When I moved my head I suddenly felt very dizzy and nearly fainted. I had to stop and just walk but even then felt like I was about to keel over. I'm fit and heatlhy (no major health problems) and thinking this might be just an over exertion situation rather than a medical problem.

I ate a big lunch at 1.30PM then had a relatively big dinner at 5.30PM and then had two or three pints of water before I went out at 7.30PM. This happened at around 9.15 or so which is a shame as I was sooooo close to finishing!

I'm a bit nervous about going back out running now and that this will happen on race day. I have problems with anxiety and panic attacks but this wasn't adrenaline, I have no idea what it was. Any ideas? I'll head to doc if you think!

Thanks,
    Ross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 meathrunner

It was very hot & humid out running last night and this could be the cause of you feeling faint. I felt bit overcome when I stopped running last night & insects were eating me alive!! Think its to cool down after tomorrow, maybe try a short run close to home or go with someone if nervous of it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Sounds like a plan; I'm going to go out for a short run on Sunday evening. I have been doing great and it's such a pain in the arse that this happened three weeks so close to race day! I honestly thought I was going to have that sudden adult death syndrome! I was making eyes at the woman ahead of me like 'CALL AN AMBULANCE IF I COLLAPSE' ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Is it possible your running too fast during some of your run's.

For example - your 5k times in training are 23 minutes. My PB for 5k is 20 minutes and i very rarely would run as fast as you in training.

Also you've ran the half marathon distance already 5/6 times under 2 hours. What's your target time for your race.

I would run a half around mid 1.35- 1.39 and i would probably be running my 13 mile training run's around 2 hours.

Just something to keep in mind. Ensure you run some of your weekly runs more slowly. Gives your body some time to recover properly before your next session.

Yeah that's a possibility.. I'll slow down the 5ks but I just love the idea of getting the time down to make it interesting.

My target for the race would be sub 2hrs. I'd love to get it around your kinda time (1.39 - 1.45ish) but I'm not expecting a miracle. I did a 10k race recently at 52mins.

I'll slow it down but jesus, it's kind of rattled me a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

My blood pressure is a bit low so I sometimes get that funny dizzy feeling when I stop too. Esp on nights like last night when it was very stuffy!

When I get that feeling I usually just squat low, and put my head down. Concentrate on my breathing and it passes in 30 seconds. I failed to do all of the above a while ago and fainted in a shop at the end of my run! #awkward

Suppose, it goes without saying that if it keeps happening you, head to the doctor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Hey guys,

I had a weird running experience last night.

I'm currently training for a half marathon that's in three weeks. I do two short runs a week followed by a long run (two 5ks where I constantly try and get my time down - currently at 23:30). I take it easier for the longer runs and just try and complete them. I have managed to do the full 21k in training 5-6 times always sub 2hrs.

Last night I was on 18k and little midgets were annoying me so I swatted them. When I moved my head I suddenly felt very dizzy and nearly fainted. I had to stop and just walk but even then felt like I was about to keel over. I'm fit and heatlhy (no major health problems) and thinking this might be just an over exertion situation rather than a medical problem.

I ate a big lunch at 1.30PM then had a relatively big dinner at 5.30PM and then had two or three pints of water before I went out at 7.30PM. This happened at around 9.15 or so which is a shame as I was sooooo close to finishing!

I'm a bit nervous about going back out running now and that this will happen on race day. I have problems with anxiety and panic attacks but this wasn't adrenaline, I have no idea what it was. Any ideas? I'll head to doc if you think!

Thanks,
    Ross
    you have answered your own question, if in doubt seek proper medical advice. Take no chances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I have noticed that if I run in the evening after having a large dinner that I can go through periods where I feel quite faint, certainly over longer distances. These days I always eat after I run in the evenings and I've never had the same problems. This could be a potential contributor if its not something that you normally do. Again, this is just from my own experience so pinch of salt, yadda, yadda. 😉

I think I might just pop into the doc regardless... It was a bit frightening but I will probably get over it! Thanks for all the comments. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 meathrunner

If you do go to doctor have your bloods checked, especially your iron levels. I was training away few years ago & feeling bit breathless occasionally & then fainted when I wasn't doing anything, turned out I was anaemic. Doc will probably suggest routine bloods anyhow. Hope you get sorted & this doesn't disrupt your half marathon training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Happened me half way through a half marathon last year during the really hot spell on one of the warmest days of the year. I got blurred vision and felt like fainting and was dizzy and about to collapse. Had to stop and sit down and put my head down to get the blood back.
    Never happened me since so hopefully yours is just a once off too. For me I'd say it was just over-exertion on a hot day and I don't do well in excessive heat.
    No harm getting your bloods tested just in case you're low in something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

you feel low on sugar? before any exercise i always take tea and a biscuit an hour or less before i start...

i'm not diabetic but if i were to push myself hard i'd collapse and faint too, hands would start shaking and i'd be craving sugar and oxygen..

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

I had a couple of bouts similar to this at early morning training sessions straight after eating normal breakfast. Light-headed in the middle of third 600m interval. Solution in my case: reduced breakfast intake. No further problems.

I suspect that in your case the digestion process was diverting some blood flow away from the brain. Solution: Eat less and leave a longer gap before running. (You might also look into the merits of drinking several pints of water just before heading out. I think that it may be better to sip gradually over a period of time to become well-hydrated.)

As ever, seek medical advice just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

:D at the mental picture. They're midges.

It was ridiculously clammy last night. I went out late for a run and came back covered in sweat. I'd say nothing to worry about; just adjust for the conditions next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

OP, there could be any number of reasons that you could be feeling faint after your run. If you're concerned about it or it happens again then the best thing to do would be to get it checked out with a GP.

We are verging on medical advice so I will have to lock it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement