Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we sign something during our ceremony?

Options
  • 11-07-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

as in a spiritualist ceremony?

As in you know in a church wedding the register is signed during the ceremony, well is there a part in a humanist/spiritual ceremony that also has this or has the signing bit been done in the meeting with the HSE? am i making sense?
    (planning our ceremony and need to know if i should have music playing during these minutes) and where in the ceremony does it happen,
    I'm also currently trying to write/type our ceremony.
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Good question!! Me thinks you don't..As you would normally sign the register book, this would be done in the civil office if ye are going down that route but not on the ceremony day as such..As far as I know now, I remember a friend go married and he had a celtic priest and they did not sign anything on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You sign something during the ceremony, or you can do it privately afterwards/before. Ask the spiritualist performing the ceremony what options they can give you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You go to the HSE and register your intent to get married. They give you your unsigned marriage licence there and then. Someone (presumably the groom or best man) brings that to the ceremony and the couple, the witnesses and (I think) the celebrant all sign it during the ceremony. That's regardless of whether it's a church/humanist/civil/spiritualist wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Well it depends on whether you have the spiritualist doing the full legal ceremony with you indoors or not.

If it's all indoors then you sign the MRF during your ceremony with your spiritualist celebrant.
    If you are doing the legal bits a different day (ie 2/3 days beforehand) then that is when you sign it.

We are having our ceremony in a few weeks.
    2 days beforehand we are doing a legal ceremony in their offices with our 2 witnesses. This is when we sign the forms.
    Then we are having our proper wedding day and having a blessing outdoors.

If you have booked your celebrant they should send you sample ceremonies so you can see where everything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Thanks all

We are getting married in three weeks and we have the HSE green folder.

we are meeting our spiritualist minister this week and I wanted to give them a copy of our chosen ceremony obviously we'll pen in any changes but looking through what they sent us, I don't see a part for the signing - also want to sort out our singer for that 'interlude'

anyways it will be sorted Im sure - just trying to sort out the naggy bits - speaking of naggy and off topic has anyone else turned into a total cow in the last few weeks of their wedding planning - I don't mean total bridezilla but I am being such a cow to my partner I'm sure he's looking at me and saying wtf am I marrying this bitch for?? Please tell me it goes away??? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Maybe just get in touch with them and confirm with them that you'll be signing the register during the ceremony. They might deliberately leave it out as not every couple will be doing the legal bits with them? I presume the celebrant is named on your MRF?

We had a humanist ceremony 3 weeks ago and we signed the MRF during the ceremony - our music piece was about 2.5 mins long and we jokingly took our time sitting down and signing the form to max out those few mins.

And yes I was a right pain in the last week, it just felt like the time had flown and I was antsy about little details that were important - like ceremony, music, that sort of thing. OH was fairly laid back about it which added to my anxiety. Add in relatives farting around last minute and cancelling then wanting to bring more people (and running it by my parents rather than us!!!!) and I was dying for it all to be over! Make sure you take a decent bit of time off work beforehand if you can spare it and make time for a bit of pampering. Also don't be afraid to delegate stuff to trustworthy people. Our best man and one bridesmaid in particular were amazing. The day itself will be brilliant :)

Think what Pooch said ye sign in the office...

Anywho sure im sure you will sort it..

Haha I can imagine the lead up to the day must be both nerve racking and stressfull. Im sure hell understand, they always do box of sweeties will sort him out and maybe a "I Am Sorry" but not too often, hell get used to it haha.. I have it in my head that when our own comes along I want to take a 2 week break as such of not seeing eachother until the big day, like that id say ill be like a demon so it will be best for both of us..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Oh thank god you've all said that,I'm getting crankier by the day!!!

haha.. I was even thinking aswell that I know it sounds mad but I must plan my monthly's around the date. Jaysus I cant imagine the pressure of it all and then having the visators!! nightmare

Advertisement